Posted to user@aries.apache.org by Paul F Fraser <pa...@a2zliving.com> on 2015/09/11 01:04:16 UTC

Setting system properties for subsystems

Hi,

Using jetty http bundle in a subsystem requires jetty to be enabled with a system property.

To set this property I am intending to use a custom header in the SUBSYSTEM.MF and set the property
prior to subsystem start.

I could not find any reference to subsystem system properties in the OSGi spec.

Are there other methods for doing this?

Regards

Paul Fraser

Re: Setting system properties for subsystems

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Well the only way to set system properties that I know of is via the
command line when launching the Java process. Of course you can also
have explicit System.setProperty() calls in your bundle. I'm not sure
that adding something for this to SUBSYSTEM.MF is a good idea because
it has a global effect, even for scoped subsystems. Similarly bundles
don't support a way to set system properties via their MANIFEST.MF...

If you really want to do this inside your subsystem I would suggest to
just add your own small bundle that sets this property. If it needs to
be set before Jetty is started you can use the subsystem start
ordering.

Best regards,

David