Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Anchit Jatana <de...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/12 00:35:35 UTC

Flink Kafka connector08 not updating the offsets with the zookeeper

Hi All,

I'm using Flink Kafka connector08. I need to check/monitor the offsets of
the my flink application's kafka consumer.

When running this:

bin/kafka-consumer-groups.sh --zookeeper <zookeeper-url:port> --describe
--group <group-id>

I get the message: No topic available for consumer group provided. Why is
the consumer not updating the offsets with the zookeeper ?

PS: I have enabled checkpointing. Is there any configuration that I'm
missing or is this some sort of a bug?

Using Flink version 1.1.2

Thank you

Regards,
Anchit

Re: Flink Kafka connector08 not updating the offsets with the zookeeper

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Okay, I see.
According to this document, we need to set a consumer id for each groupid
and topic:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+data+structures+in+Zookeeper

I created a JIRA for fixing this issue:

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM, Anchit Jatana <development.anchit@gmail.com

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hi Anchit,

Can you re-run your job with the debug level for Flink set to DEBUG?
Then, you should see the following log message every time the offset is
committed of Zookeeper:

"Committing offsets to Kafka/ZooKeeper for checkpoint"

Alternatively, can you check whether the offsets are available in Zookeeper
once the first checkpoint completed?
They should be located in

/consumers/<group.id>/offsets/<topic>/<partition>

In Flink 1.2-SNAPSHOT, Flink is exposing the current offset as a metric for
all kafka connector versions.

Regards,
Robert

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Anchit Jatana <development.anchit@gmail.com