Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Toby Lazar <tl...@capitaltg.com> on 2013/10/20 05:04:49 UTC

pivot range faceting

Is it possible to get pivot info on a range-faceted query?  For example, if
I want to query the number of orders placed in January, February, etc., I
know I can use a simple range search.  If I want to get the number of
orders by category, I can do that easily by faceting on category.  I'm
wondering if I can get the number of all orders by month, and also broken
down by category.  Is that possible in a single query?

Thanks,

Toby

Re: pivot range faceting

Posted by Bram Van Dam <br...@intix.eu>.
On 10/21/2013 03:46 AM, Toby Lazar wrote:
> Thanks for confirming my fears.  I saw some presentations where I thought
> this feature was used, but perhaps it was done performing multiple range
> queries.

Probably. I had a look at implementing the feature (because it's
something we rely on quite a bit), but decided against it. The solr
implementation of faceting is hard to get my head around -- and
launching multiple queries seems to outperform pivot queries anyway.

You can use a range query to determine the ranges (and their total
counts), and then launch an extra query per range.

Re: pivot range faceting

Posted by Toby Lazar <tl...@capitaltg.com>.
Thanks for confirming my fears.  I saw some presentations where I thought
this feature was used, but perhaps it was done performing multiple range
queries.

Any chance there is a way for copyField to copy a function of a field
instead of the original itself is there?  Or, must this be done by the
application?

Thank you again for your help.

Toby

  Toby Lazar