Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Cain, Greg {Quaker}" <Gr...@quakeroats.com> on 2002/03/05 23:52:09 UTC

Too many apache servers

I am running Apache version 1.3.22 and Coldfusion 5.0 on a HP server running
11.0 of the operating system.  The initial startup of apache starts 5
servers.  As the day goes on, as many as 12 servers may be running at once.
They never seem to die.  I have to stop and restart Apache at least once a
day or else the Apache servers will take over the entire system.

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged
or confidential information.  If you have received it in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other use of the
E-Mail by you is prohibited.

Re: Too many apache servers

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
"Cain, Greg {Quaker}" wrote:

> I am running Apache version 1.3.22 and Coldfusion 5.0 on a HP server running
> 11.0 of the operating system.  The initial startup of apache starts 5
> servers.  As the day goes on, as many as 12 servers may be running at once.
> They never seem to die.  I have to stop and restart Apache at least once a
> day or else the Apache servers will take over the entire system.

Apache is supposed to spawn many child processes which wait for requests
- my server currently has 87 running. The start number is defined by
MinSpareServers, the maximum is defined by MaxClients, When one has
served MaxRequestsPerChild requests it dies and a new process is
spawned. I don't think there is anything wrong with your system - just
your understanding of how apache works.

What do you mean by "the Apache servers will take over the entire
system" - are you really seeing the system slow down and lock out? Or
are you just suspicious about all the httpds in the system table?  To
check, run "top" and look at the load average and CPU idle state...

Read the docs for all the directives which begin with "Max" or "Min" to
understand what it happening.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

Re: Too many apache servers

Posted by lc...@ociojoven.com.
> I am running Apache version 1.3.22 and Coldfusion 5.0 on a HP server running
> 11.0 of the operating system.  The initial startup of apache starts 5
> servers.  As the day goes on, as many as 12 servers may be running at once.
> They never seem to die.  I have to stop and restart Apache at least once a
> day or else the Apache servers will take over the entire system.

  I used to have the same problem with different stuff (linux+php), there
were several apaches that started to grow and hogged the system (loads
over 40) if they weren't restarted. My solution was to set a low
MaxRequestsPerChild number, say 100 or so. This way every 100 requests
(without keepalives) that a process serve, it dies and another one spawns,
so the processes taking down the box will eventually die.

  Cheers.

--
  Luis Calero Muñoz
  $email{luis} = 'lcalero@ociojoven.com'