Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/29 06:29:03 UTC

Taste on Hbase?

Hi,

I was looking at some Hbase stuff earlier and I started wondering whether Taste would benefit from using Hbase as its data store instead of a RDBMS.  Would it?  Oh, now I see notes about DB/MySQL performance at the bottom of this section: http://lucene.apache.org/mahout/taste.html#Runtime+Performance

Here is what I think is an easy to understand explanation of some of the Hbase vs. RDBMS differences:

  http://markmail.org/message/fz6jhlph6bdvsrio

I'm wondering what people more familiar with Hbase and Taste think about Taste using Hbase as its data store.  Would it be possible?  Would it make anything better?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Taste on Hbase?

Posted by Cosmin Lehene <cl...@adobe.com>.
You should know though that you can only retrieve data from HBase by  rowid (the equivalent of a primary key in a database). You can't do SELECT WHERE statements. This is because HBase is only indexed by the rowid so you need a separate indexing system like Lucene or Solr to be able to retrieve data in a flexible manner.

For a good understanding of how HBase is different from a RDBMS there's a nice article here: http://jimbojw.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Hbase_and_BigTable

Cosmin

On 8/29/08 9:49 AM, "Sean Owen" <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

I admit I don't know much about HBase, but if I am right that it is
roughly like BigTable, then yeah it would be a better choice -- in
theory at least. The library just needs a very simple table, and very
fast access to it, almost entirely reads, few writes, no transactions.
I'll put it on the to-do list to build an implementation on HBase.

Re: Taste on Hbase?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.