Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com> on 2013/07/02 19:36:22 UTC

Re: Wrong handling of service.ranking property in Sling Filter ordering

On 18.06.2013, at 15:19, Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> wrote:

> So, I tend to switch over to the fix-the-implementation-camp.

+1

It's what you expect (higher service ranking picked up first) and if the wrong cases are few and can be easily handled (big documentation note to sling users) that's definitely better.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: Wrong handling of service.ranking property in Sling Filter ordering

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...In general, when there is a doubt and it's not clearly a bug, I would think
> that the implementation is right and the docs are wrong...

yes, yes, yes, +1 !

People have been running our code, not our docs...changing the former
has much more impact than the latter, and in this case the ordering
direction is mostly a matter of taste.

-Bertrand

Re: Wrong handling of service.ranking property in Sling Filter ordering

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I'm more in the camp of fix-the-docs :) One could argue that higher
priority means they have the most power and therefore are run last and can
overrule everything previous filters have done - this again would be
somehow in line with service ranking in general.
In general, when there is a doubt and it's not clearly a bug, I would think
that the implementation is right and the docs are wrong. Because this is
what people are using and they might rely on current ordering. We can fix
our code/configuration, but we can't fix custom code/installations out
there.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler