Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2010/11/01 01:39:13 UTC

Re: integrating qa build script into main build script

Jonathan Costers wrote:
> Why would we?
> The main build script is already pretty huge ... Adding the QA targets to it
> would make it even more massive and more difficult to understand.
> We have a clean separation between the actual River code and the QA code
> now, and I think that is just fine.
>
> 2010/10/31 Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>
>

>> Shall we integrate qa build script into the main build script?
>>
>> G.Sim

Can we make qa a separate build, and just use jar files from the main
build as libraries?

My reasoning is that currently we're not testing binary compatibility
only compile time compatibility (both are important), I've run into
binary compatibility problems in the past because of the conjoined build.

 From what I've noticed, the tests change less than the build, both
should be separate, not compiling the tests every time may save some
time running the tests.

But every now and then both should be freshly compiled together to check
for method signatures problems etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: integrating qa build script into main build script

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
It's not about "listening", really, but OK.
I gave my opinion, and that's just it, an opinion.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
So .. we started this thread with a proposal to merge the two, and end up
with a proposal to further separate them ... ?
I'm not sure if I understand.

What we currently have is pretty separate. The QA build can be used
separately, running against an external binary River installation, for
instance (change property river.home to do that). This has been deliberately
foreseen.
The only thing the QA build depends upon is common.xml, so you could argue
we can remove that dependency. However, duplicate code has been factored out
of both build.xml files for a reason too.

I'm not sure what we are gaining here ... The build *works* and there are
many issues to solve elsewhere?

revising build logic

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 11/01/2010 09:15 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> On 01-11-10 01:39, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>>> Can we make qa a separate build, and just use jar files from the main
>>> build as libraries?
>>
>> I was thinking about a qabuild with an optional setting to build the
>> trunk. We could easily instead of recompiling the source, copy the
>> binaries from the last snapshot. Maybe we would have some directory
>> layout stuff to sort. But it doesn't look difficult to me.
>
> I like the sound of that.

We could have a look at the complete build pipeline. We could let the QA
build produce the daily snapshots, and have the river-trunk as our main
ci build. No daily snapshot if qa fails. The ci-build we could tune to
producing as much warnings as possible and let code quality plugins
produce reports, and not minding about the produced artifacts.

Gr. Sim

Re: integrating qa build script into main build script

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.