Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Scammell <ma...@meridianenergy.co.nz> on 2016/01/24 20:42:14 UTC

Monitoring for messages older than a defined period of time

Hi,

I'm using ActiveMQ version 5.10.1 and have a requirement to regularly poll
my ActiveMQ installation and identify when a message has been sitting on a
specified queue for a specified period of time.

What are my programmatic options for achieving this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Monitoring for messages older than a defined period of time

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
You can interrogate the various JMX MBeans that ActiveMQ exposes to get
information about the number of messages enqueued, dequeued, dispatched,
etc., and then compare the current values against the last time you polled
to see if they haven't changed.  If you're going to be doing that for more
than a few destinations, you'll probably want to consider enabling Jolokia
since direct JMX interaction with a remote broker is pretty slow.  See
http://activemq.apache.org/how-can-i-monitor-activemq.html and
http://activemq.apache.org/rest.html for more information.

You could also use queue browsing to examine the first message on your
queue, but be aware that messages that have been dispatched to a consumer
but not yet consumed are still considered to be on the queue but are not
browseable until/unless the consumer closes without acknowledging the
message, so be sure to account for that in any algorithm you end up
implementing.

Tim

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Scammell <mark.harris@meridianenergy.co.nz