Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by an...@arcor.de on 2005/10/14 09:01:21 UTC

curious write-requests

Hello,

we have an extra partition (ReiserFS) for the htdocs directory of our apache 1.3.28 (SuSE 9.0).
For performance issues we have monitored our webserver with the tool "iostat" and recognized many write-requests on the htdocs-partition.

Can anyone explain to me where this write-requests do come from? Who is writing and what/why?

In a test we requested only static html-pages which can't write temporary files. Nevertheless we had this write-requests.

Kind regards

Andreas

Machen Sie aus 14 Cent spielend bis zu 100 Euro!
Die neue Gaming-Area von Arcor - über 50 Onlinespiele im Angebot.
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-gaming-1

Re: curious write-requests

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 14 Oct 2005, at 09:04, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 09:01 +0200, andreas.konrad@arcor.de wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> we have an extra partition (ReiserFS) for the htdocs directory of
>> our apache 1.3.28 (SuSE 9.0).
>> For performance issues we have monitored our webserver with the
>> tool "iostat" and recognized many write-requests on the htdocs-
>> partition.
>>
>> Can anyone explain to me where this write-requests do come from?
>> Who is writing and what/why?
>>
>> In a test we requested only static html-pages which can't write
>> temporary files. Nevertheless we had this write-requests.
>>

> Just a guess but perhaps updating the atime or something like that
> (last-accessed) time of the file? I know I saw awhile ago a document
> saying to increase performance to mount noatime on filesystems for
> web/file serving...

We had the same issue a year-or-so ago on one of our Gentoo/Linux
boxes running ReiserFS. Mounting the partition with the "noatime"
option fixed it in our case.

     Pier

Re: curious write-requests

Posted by "Nathanael D. Noblet" <na...@gnat.ca>.
On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 09:01 +0200, andreas.konrad@arcor.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have an extra partition (ReiserFS) for the htdocs directory of our apache 1.3.28 (SuSE 9.0).
> For performance issues we have monitored our webserver with the tool "iostat" and recognized many write-requests on the htdocs-partition.
>
> Can anyone explain to me where this write-requests do come from? Who is writing and what/why?
>
> In a test we requested only static html-pages which can't write temporary files. Nevertheless we had this write-requests.

Just a guess but perhaps updating the atime or something like that
(last-accessed) time of the file? I know I saw awhile ago a document
saying to increase performance to mount noatime on filesystems for
web/file serving...

Just a guess however.
--
Nathanael D. Noblet