Posted to dev@devlake.apache.org by Yumeng Wang <yu...@merico.dev.INVALID> on 2022/05/30 02:35:22 UTC

Suggestions for DevLake Website Update

Hi everyone,

For those of you who are not familiar with me, I am Yumeng, the product/ux designer of DevLake. 😊

I’ve been thinking that we can improve the Apache DevLake (Incubating) website to help users and potential contributors better understand what DevLake is and engage more participation from the community. Therefore I’ve put together some detailed improvements that we can undertake recently and want to hear about your opinions or suggestions, especially about where we should host our blogs.

To-dos
1. Update homepage content

  *   Add a hero image to replace the blue color block
  *   Replace the three feature illustrations with real product images/screenshots:
     *   A simplified version of the architecture diagram
     *   Dashboard screenshots (with a CTA that links to live demo)
     *   New config UI screenshots

and add descriptive text if needed

2. Improve the introduction and setup docs

  *   Replace the current screenshot with better images/screenshots of the product in Introduction
  *   Add an overview in Deploy Locally to indicate what to expect during and after installation
  *   Refine the installation guidance in a more modular style:
     *   Set up the service
     *   Using the Config UI
     *   Viewing the dashboards

3. Update the Roadmap doc to fit the community better (done)

  *   Link issues to specific items in the Roadmap
  *   Show a sense of progression of what's achieved and what's coming next

4. Keep improving on the dashboard live demo

Put each dashboard to a separate page and provide introductions and detailed explanations apache/incubator-devlake#1784<https://github.com/apache/incubator-devlake/issues/1784>

5. Add the team page

  *   Right now our Team page links to the GitHub Contributors page, which will be replaced by a page that lists out all of our PPMCs, committers and contributors.
  *   The Contributors page under community will be moved to Team.

6. Use Medium to manage the English blogs and another appropriate tool for Chinese blogs (to be decided)

  *   Docusaurus is not built for blogs and we have encountered many hurdles in terms of submitting and managing blogs right now. Yumeng suggests we host our English blogs on Medium, and Chinese blogs either on an equivalent Chinese blog platform or still on the DevLake website.

Ongoing Improvements

  1.  Enhance the quality of the current documentation (typos, wording, addition writing, etc.) and provide more documentation
  2.  Arrange documents in more reasonable categories
  3.  Better screenshots/images

Brainstorming for future

  *   Add an introductory/demo video
  *   Add use cases
  *   Add the user guide for the new Config UI (for both regular mode and advanced mode)
  *   Provide guidance for advanced users to design custom Grafana dashboards
  *   Add case studies or showcase

Re: Suggestions for DevLake Website Update

Posted by Yumeng Wang <yu...@merico.dev.INVALID>.
Hi Hezheng,

Of course! So, here’s a summary of recent improvements (some are work-in-progress) of the website:

  *   Updated Roadmap and converted items in the roadmap into actionable issues
  *   Added the Team page and a few other community related docs
  *   Updated ASF required content
  *   Finalzed the copywriting for homepage and passed it for design (which will be ready for dev next Wednesday)
  *   Revisited the user journeys and will update some of the setup docs (including the user flow screenshot)
  *   Collaborating with another Contributor Shimin An on a series of community conduct related docs, such as code conduct, etc.
In addition, we are also expecting a few new docs that will be ready with the release of  v0.12.0.

For remaining items on the list for community members to participate in, I think we regularly need more and better docs, in any relevant topics. Another major improvement on the list is the live demo page, for which I think it could be a good idea to move it out of the docs menu and create a new menu item for it. But it’s still at an ideation phase and welcome for discussion.

Hope this answers the question!

Best,
Yumeng
From: Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 5:39 AM
To: dev@devlake.apache.org <de...@devlake.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for DevLake Website Update
Hi Yumeng,

I hope this message finds you well. Do you think you could summarize our
progress on improving our website? For community members who want to help,
what're the remaining items on your list? Thanks in advance!

Best,
Hezheng

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 2:58 PM Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yumeng and Louis,
>
> I created a PR to update the current Architecture page. Please review,
> thanks!
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-devlake-website/pull/71
>
> Best,
> Hezheng
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 10:24 PM Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Yumeng,
>>
>> Thanks for putting this together.
>>
>> I'd like to add two items to the list:
>>
>>    1. The current Archiecture
>>    <https://devlake.apache.org/docs/Overview/Architecture> page only has
>>    two diagrams and some bullet points, we need to provide more detailed
>>    documentation
>>    2. I didn't find any documentation that walks through how to create a
>>    new plugin step-by-step, we'd better add one if it doesn't already exist
>>

>> Best,
>> Hezheng
>>
>> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 2:22 AM Kaiyun Zhang
>> <ka...@merico.dev.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Nice proposal, Yumeng.
>>>
>>> My personal priorities regarding the website are:
>>> 1. Homepage: to show clearer introduction(what) and value
>>> proposition(why) of DevLake

Posted by Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yumeng,

Posted by Hezheng Yin <yi...@gmail.com>.