Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2003/11/13 21:57:47 UTC

[VOTE] Make groupId mandatory for POM version 4?

Hi,

I'd like to make <groupId> a mandatory element in POM version 4. What do
you think? The reason is that I don't what the default can be if it's
not specified and if we want to have plugins that start using the
id/groupId/type elements, there must be a groupId defined.

Here's my +1

Thanks
-Vincent

RE: [VOTE] Make groupId mandatory for POM version 4?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

yes

> And <id> for both should be now only deprecated and removed in future
> (+1)?

No. I have already removed <id> for project in POM4. I have sent another
email asking for a vote on removing <id> in dependency too (for POM4 of
course).

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
Vincent Massol wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to make <groupId> a mandatory element in POM version 4. What do
>you think? The reason is that I don't what the default can be if it's
>not specified and if we want to have plugins that start using the
>id/groupId/type elements, there must be a groupId defined.
>
>Here's my +1
>
>Thanks
>-Vincent

You mean:
 <groupId> for the project: +1
<groupId> for  the dependecy: +1

And <id> for both should be now only deprecated and removed in future (+1)?

Michal

Re: [VOTE] Make groupId mandatory for POM version 4?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 21:08, Ben Walding wrote:
> +1 to fixing that
>
> However what are the exact details of how it is to be fixed?
>
> <groupId> / <id>

-1

> <groupId> / <artifactId> or <id> (with weird : and + notation)

-1

> <groupId> / <artifactId> or <id> (with : notation shorthand)

-1

The <id/> has to go away because this is something we will define
internally and the fugly notation was just a bad idea from the start.

> <groupId> / <artifactId>

+10

> Whatever the solution, i'd prefer that the dependency definition and the
> POM definition were equivalent.
>

> What kind of deprecation period were you planning?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to make <groupId> a mandatory element in POM version 4. What do
> > you think? The reason is that I don't what the default can be if it's
> > not specified and if we want to have plugins that start using the
> > id/groupId/type elements, there must be a groupId defined.
> >
> > Here's my +1
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: [VOTE] Make groupId mandatory for POM version 4?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

[snip]

> <groupId> / <artifactId>

+1

> Whatever the solution, i'd prefer that the dependency definition and
the
> POM definition were equivalent.

me too

> What kind of deprecation period were you planning?

It's deprecation in java code. However in POM code there's a new version
of the POM (version 4). So it's not deprecation for the POM, simply a
new one.

I think we need to keep supporting POM3 at least until 1.1 final
included.

[snip]

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.
+1 to fixing that

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Vincent Massol wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'd like to make <groupId> a mandatory element in POM version 4. What do
>you think? The reason is that I don't what the default can be if it's
>not specified and if we want to have plugins that start using the
>id/groupId/type elements, there must be a groupId defined.
>
>Here's my +1

+1 (non-binding)

Steve.

>Thanks
>-Vincent

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: [VOTE] Make groupId mandatory for POM version 4?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
+1 painful, but important..

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Is POM v4 a 1.0, 1.1, or 2.x change?
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 15:57, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to make <groupId> a mandatory element in POM version 4. What do
> you think? The reason is that I don't what the default can be if it's
> not specified and if we want to have plugins that start using the
> id/groupId/type elements, there must be a groupId defined.
>
> Here's my +1

+1

> Thanks
> -Vincent