Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Fabricio Luiz Machado <so...@yahoo.com.br> on 2006/06/23 19:57:30 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_redirect X POST Method

Hi all!

 I have an application hosted in two servers:

https://server1.mydomain.com/app
https://server2.mydomain.com/app

 The client have a system (not a browser) that must access the
application and send username and password through a POST method,
conectiong at:

  http://app.mydomain.com

  The two server above are responding for "app.mydomain.com", because I
have an DNS round-robin environment.

 On both servers, i have a rewrite configuration:

on server1:
<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
    ServerName app.mydomain.com
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond          %{HTTPS} !=on
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://server1.mydomain.com/app [L,R,NC]
</VirtualHost>

on server2:
<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
    ServerName app.mydomain.com
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond          %{HTTPS} !=on
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://server2.mydomain.com/app [L,R,NC]
</VirtualHost>

   The rewrite is working very fine for years, but in this case not,
because the application is not receiving the POST information (username
and password.
   Is there a workaround for this problem ?

   Thanks !

   Fabricio.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_redirect X POST Method

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 6/23/06, Fabricio Luiz Machado <so...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
>  I have an application hosted in two servers:
>
> https://server1.mydomain.com/app
> https://server2.mydomain.com/app
>
>  The client have a system (not a browser) that must access the
> application and send username and password through a POST method,
> conectiong at:
>
>   http://app.mydomain.com
>

>   The two server above are responding for "app.mydomain.com", because I
> have an DNS round-robin environment.
>
>  On both servers, i have a rewrite configuration:
>
> on server1:
> <VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
>     ServerName app.mydomain.com
>     RewriteEngine On
>     RewriteCond          %{HTTPS} !=on
>     RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://server1.mydomain.com/app [L,R,NC]
> </VirtualHost>
>
> on server2:
> <VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:80>
>     ServerName app.mydomain.com
>     RewriteEngine On
>     RewriteCond          %{HTTPS} !=on
>     RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://server2.mydomain.com/app [L,R,NC]
> </VirtualHost>
>
>    The rewrite is working very fine for years, but in this case not,
> because the application is not receiving the POST information (username
> and password.
>    Is there a workaround for this problem ?

This is a bad idea for a couple reasons.  First, the initial POST will
be sent in-the-clear (unencrypted), so you've blown your security.
Second, browser handling of redirected POST requests is very uneven
and unreliable.  For a full discussion, see:
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/post-redirect.html

According to his testing, you may have more success if you use R=307.
But it just isn't a good idea.

Joshua.