Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Julien Naour <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/01 11:41:05 UTC

Fair Scheduler issue

Hello,

I'm currently using HDP 2.0 so it's Hadoop 2.2.0.
My cluster consist in 4 nodes, 16 coeurs 16 GB RAM 4*3To each.

Recently we passed from 2 users to 8. We need now a more appropriate
Scheduler.
We begin with Capacity Scheduler. There was some issues with the different
queues particularly when using some spark shell that used some resources
for a long time.
So we decide to try Fair Scheduler which seems to be a good solution.
The problem is that FairScheduler doesn't allow all available resources.
It's capped at 73% of the available memory for one jobs 63% for 2 jobs and
45% for 3 jobs. The problem could come from shells that take resources for
a long time.

We tried some configuration like
yarn.scheduler.fair.user-as-default-queue=false
or play with the minimum ressources allocated minResources in
fair-scheduler.xml but it doesn't seems to resolve the issue.

Any advices or good practices to held a good Fair Scheduler?

Regards,

Julien

Re: Fair Scheduler issue

Posted by Julien Naour <ju...@gmail.com>.
We are at 11GB for yarn nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
It seems that the problem is due to the number of CPUs.
Each Spark executor needed too many CPUs in comparaison to available CPUs.
In consequence the Fair Scheduler didn't allow all the available memory
because all CPUs where all-ready used.
Problem solved (or so it seems) by allowing less CPUs by Spark Executors

Thanks,

Julien

Re: Fair Scheduler issue

Posted by Julien Naour <ju...@gmail.com>.