Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by mkeenan <ke...@p2sol.com> on 2009/01/07 18:34:25 UTC

Nightly builds?

I have a few questions about the current ActiveMQ release:

1) I see a few links on this forum and on the ActiveMQ website that refer to
the 5.3.0 Snapshot, but none of them pointed to any downloadable files. Is
there any packaged version of 5.3.0 or is the only way to get it to pull
from the source repository and run the build script?

2) Will there be a 5.2.x maintenance release, or will the current trunk
eventually get rolled out as 5.3.0 ?

We have frequent problems with "stuck" messages in production (active
consumers, prefetch 1, dozens of messages on queue but no dispatching takes
place).  I've tried a number of workarounds and sadly we have settled on a
cron job to cycle ActiveMQ daily since this fixes the problem.

I'm *really* hoping that a future release makes our restart hack
unnecessary.

Re: Nightly builds?

Posted by mkeenan <ke...@p2sol.com>.

> After a bit of googling and head scratching, the builds are working again
> now...

Thanks for following up on this and getting it working. I'm eager to run the
5.3 series alongside 5.2 and see if it helps with our dispatch problems.

Re: Nightly builds?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2009/1/7 James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/7 James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>:
>> 2009/1/7 mkeenan <ke...@p2sol.com>:
>>>
>>> I have a few questions about the current ActiveMQ release:
>>>
>>> 1) I see a few links on this forum and on the ActiveMQ website that refer to
>>> the 5.3.0 Snapshot, but none of them pointed to any downloadable files. Is
>>> there any packaged version of 5.3.0 or is the only way to get it to pull
>>> from the source repository and run the build script?
>>
>> The download page has links to snapshots...
>> http://activemq.apache.org/download.html
>>
>> but it looks like the nightly build hasn't been creating the assembly
>> (as nightly builds get cleaned up if they are too old)
>>
>> It seems the jars are being created though...
>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/activemq/activemq-core/5.3-SNAPSHOT/
>
> Looks like the assembly fails....
> http://projects.fusesource.com/builds/status
>
> am tinkering, we'll see if the next build works...

After a bit of googling and head scratching, the builds are working again now...
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.3-SNAPSHOT/

root cause turned out to be too many hung builds using up the swap
space on the machine :)

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: Nightly builds?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Nightly builds?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
2009/1/7 mkeenan <ke...@p2sol.com>:

> I have a few questions about the current ActiveMQ release:
>
> 1) I see a few links on this forum and on the ActiveMQ website that refer to
> the 5.3.0 Snapshot, but none of them pointed to any downloadable files. Is
> there any packaged version of 5.3.0 or is the only way to get it to pull
> from the source repository and run the build script?

The download page has links to snapshots...
http://activemq.apache.org/download.html

but it looks like the nightly build hasn't been creating the assembly
(as nightly builds get cleaned up if they are too old)

It seems the jars are being created though...
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/activemq/activemq-core/5.3-SNAPSHOT/

> 2) Will there be a 5.2.x maintenance release, or will the current trunk
> eventually get rolled out as 5.3.0 ?

Probably the latter but its not set in stone yet
--
James
-------

Open Source Integration