Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/08 21:31:07 UTC

validate() not called

Hi,
I am trying to use the validate() by extending the
org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorForm class.

The problem is that the validate() is being called for one form class
which I have created, however it is not being called for another
similar form class. There are no errors which compiling etc...so i
dont get to know why it is not being called.

Any hints on how to debug as to why it is not called ?

The snippet struts-config.xml is :
<action
            path="/maintainRecurringTasks"
            type="tasks.action.MaintainRecurringTasksPageAction"
            scope="request"
            name="MaintainRecurringTasksPageForm"
            attribute="MaintainRecurringTasksPageForm"
            parameter="maintainRecurringTasks"
            validate="true">
            <forward name="success"
               path="/jsp/tasks/MaintainRecurringTasks.jsp" />
        </action>

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Struts, JSP 2.0 and Jasper2 compiler error

Posted by Clark Wright <cw...@liquidmachines.com>.
At 12:58 PM 9/13/2005, you wrote:
>At 11:10 AM 9/13/2005, Martin Gainty wrote:
>>Clark-
>>
>>Ant has not upgraded the JSPC task for the JSP Servlet 2.0 spec as of yet
>>to quote
>>"There are known problems with Tomcat 5.x that won't get fixed in Ant,
>>please use Tomcat's jspc task instead."
>
>Yup, been there, gotten it to work for a while now.
>
>The real issue seems to be backwards compatibility when generating the
>java code for taglibs that are adhering to version 1.1 of the JSP spec
>while using the Tomcat 5.5 version of JasperC, which implements the 2.0 spec.
>
>For instance,
>using JasperC from Tomcat 4.x (which also required the custom ant config),
>the following class would be generated:
>
>   private boolean
>_jspx_meth_html_img_0(javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.Tag _jspx_th_html_link_0,
>  javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext pageContext)
>           throws Throwable
>
>Now, using the Tomcat 5.5 jasperC, you get this class:
>
>private boolean
>_jspx_meth_html_link_0 (javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.JspTag _jspx_th_html_html_0,
>PageContext _jspx_page_context)
>           throws Throwable
>
>Now, same jsp, same taglib, same backing jar.  The only difference is that
>the version of JasperC changed.

What I failed to explicitly point out is that the first argument of the
generated call has changed.

javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.JspTag is new has of JSP 2.0
(see
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/JspTag.html)

Any tags that are not compiled against the J2EE 1.4 libraries appear to not
be useable with the latest version of JasperC.

- clark.

[TEST] Test please ignore

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Test please ignore, switched account to gmail and somehow my mails
seems to be ignored...

Re: Struts, JSP 2.0 and Jasper2 compiler error

Posted by Clark Wright <cw...@liquidmachines.com>.
At 09:03 PM 9/13/2005, you wrote:
>I'm not sure about this; at worst, wouldn't it be sufficient to recompile
>just the Struts taglibs against the Servlet 2.4 / JSP 2.0 APIs? There
>should be no need to upgrade to J2SE 5 or to recompile any other part of
>Struts as far as I can see.
>
>That being said, I'm not sure any of this is necessary. I'm using Struts
>1.2.7 on Tomcat 5.x without any problem what-so-ever. Perhaps Jasperc2 has
>options to control which level of JSP spec it targets and defaults to
>something backwards-compatible when called during normal operation of the
>Tomcat?
>
>Clark, I suggest you look into that before going to the effort of
>recompiling everything, especially since you'd then be running a
>non-standard Struts build and would presumably have to repeat the effort
>every time you upgrade...

Found the culprit - a reference to a v1.3 j2ee jar on the build path...

cleaned up the build path, its all good.

- clark.

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.

Posted by Clark Wright <cw...@liquidmachines.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Clark-

Ant has not upgraded the JSPC task for the JSP Servlet 2.0 spec as of yet to
quote
"There are known problems with Tomcat 5.x that won't get fixed in Ant,
please use Tomcat's jspc task instead."

The latest version of Tomcat 5.x supports JSP Servlet 2.0 via the Jasper2
task from Tomcat
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jasper-howto.html#Web%20Application%20Compilation

if you are implementing your webapp with JBoss 2.4 on Tomcat 5.x
http://www.cowsultants.com/phpBB/posting.php?mode=topicreview&t=699&sid=2947bd47cbfdb129abe867ec8bbb9e44

HTH,
Martin-
617-852-7822

validate() finally called !!!!!!!

Posted by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thanks for all the help. Any1 wont believe what a silly mistake. I
forgot to add the <html:errors /> tag in the jsp page.

I found out by when reading doc for the addErrors().

Thanks once again.

Jay

Re: Re: Re: validate() not called haunts

Posted by Kjersti Berg <kj...@gmail.com>.
On 11/08/05, GRamani@intellicare.com <GR...@intellicare.com> wrote:
> Re. the "Spam" thing, i really do apologize. I totally understand because
> it probably bugs me more than it bugs anybody else. We are supposed to use
> Lotus notes for mail in our company and I absolutely *hate* it. This
> "spam" thing is just one more annoying "feature". I guess I can look into
> it, but I have a feeling I'll get nowhere.. Only thing I can do is
> remember to manually remove it from the subject every time I write, or
> just use another mail client. But that's another can of worms...

You have my sympathies. I'm also stuck with Lotus Notes at work. I
solved it by getting a gmail account for mailing lists.

Re: Re: Re: validate() not called haunts

Posted by GR...@intellicare.com.
That was a good link - thanks!

Re. the "Spam" thing, i really do apologize. I totally understand because
it probably bugs me more than it bugs anybody else. We are supposed to use
Lotus notes for mail in our company and I absolutely *hate* it. This
"spam" thing is just one more annoying "feature". I guess I can look into
it, but I have a feeling I'll get nowhere.. Only thing I can do is
remember to manually remove it from the subject every time I write, or
just use another mail client. But that's another can of worms...

Sorry about the rant, but it's a sore point with me. I'll look into it
tomorrow..

Geeta

Re: {Spam?} Re: validate() not called haunts

Posted by Jeff Beal <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gareth Evans <ga...@msoft.co.uk>.

Jay Sheth wrote:

> [...]
>      super.validate(mapping,servlet);
>     errors = new ActionErrors();
> if (nullOrBlank(m_location)) {							errors.add("Location",new
> ActionError("errors.location.required"));
> 			}
>     return new ActionErrors();
> }
>
> So basically the action class can get the errors, but how should i
> display that errors on jsp (This is all because validate() not being
> called).
>
> Jay
>
> On 8/9/05, GRamani@intellicare.com <GR...@intellicare.com> wrote:
>
>>oh ok I see where you are coming from.. I didn't know about this remote
>>debugging thing so it's good info..:) However, I didn't think the original
>>poster had this situation at all.. or maybe i grossly
>>misunderstood...(been known to happen..;))
>>

>>Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com>
>>08/09/2005 01:43 PM
>>Please respond to
>>"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

>>cc
>>
>>Subject
>>{Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} validate() not
>>called
>>

>>No, not at all, it doesn't matter where tomcat is started from. As
>>long as tomcat was started with JDWP debugging, you can connect up
>>with any recent java debugger. Your tomcat can be in China and your
>>debugging session in NYC, it just doesn't matter, and it certainly
>>doesn't have to be in the same JVM.
>>
>>Try googling for JDWP and/or JPDA, or see
>>http://java.sun.com/products/jpda/ or
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/development.html
>>
>>-ed
>>
>>On 8/9/05, GRamani@intellicare.com <GR...@intellicare.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, not only that, if you want eclipse to play nice with tomcat (and
>>>have eclipse obey break points and what not), then you in fact start
>>>tomcat from within eclipse, right? I have been doing this for a while
>>
>>now
>>
>>>so I don't see what the problem could be..?
>>>
>>>Would something like this link help:
>>>

>>http://plato.acadiau.ca/courses/comp/dsilver/2513/EclipseAndTomcatTutorial/
>>

>>>Geeta

>>--
>>This message has been scanned for viruses and
>>dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
>>believed to be clean.
>>

>>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This email is intended solely for the person or
>>entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
>>protected health information.  Any duplication, dissemination, action
>>taken in reliance upon, or other use of this information by persons or
>>entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may violate
>>applicable laws.  If this email has been received in error, please notify
>>the sender and delete the information from your system.  The views
>>expressed in this email are those of the sender and may not necessarily

Gareth Evans

MSoft eSolutions Limited
Technology Centre
Inward Way
Rossmore Business Park
Ellesmere Port
Cheshire
CH65 3EN

--
Tel:    +44 (0)870 0100 704
Fax:    +44 (0)870 9010 705

Terms:
Please note that any prices quoted within this e-mail are subject to VAT.
All program details and code described in this e-mail are subject to
copyright © of MSoft eSolutions Limited and remain the intellectual
property of MSoft eSolutions Limited.
Any proposal or pricing information contained within this e-mail are
subject to MSoft eSolutions' Terms and Conditions
Disclaimer:
This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this
message. MSoft eSolutions Limited cannot accept responsibility for viruses,
so please scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not
necessarily reflect those of MSoft eSolutions Limited who will not
necessarily be bound by its contents.

validate() not called haunts

Posted by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
> [...]

> > tomcat from within eclipse, right? I have been doing this for a while
> now
> > so I don't see what the problem could be..?
> >
> > Would something like this link help:
> >
> http://plato.acadiau.ca/courses/comp/dsilver/2513/EclipseAndTomcatTutorial/
>

> > Geeta

> believed to be clean.
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This email is intended solely for the person or
> protected health information.  Any duplication, dissemination, action
> taken in reliance upon, or other use of this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may violate
> applicable laws.  If this email has been received in error, please notify
> the sender and delete the information from your system.  The views
> expressed in this email are those of the sender and may not necessarily

Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} validate() not called

Posted by Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com>.
No, not at all, it doesn't matter where tomcat is started from. As
long as tomcat was started with JDWP debugging, you can connect up
with any recent java debugger. Your tomcat can be in China and your
debugging session in NYC, it just doesn't matter, and it certainly
doesn't have to be in the same JVM.

Try googling for JDWP and/or JPDA, or see
http://java.sun.com/products/jpda/ or
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/development.html

-ed

On 8/9/05, GRamani@intellicare.com <GR...@intellicare.com> wrote:
> Well, not only that, if you want eclipse to play nice with tomcat (and
> have eclipse obey break points and what not), then you in fact start
> tomcat from within eclipse, right? I have been doing this for a while now
> so I don't see what the problem could be..?
>
> Would something like this link help:
> http://plato.acadiau.ca/courses/comp/dsilver/2513/EclipseAndTomcatTutorial/
>
> Geeta

Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} validate() not called

Posted by GR...@intellicare.com.
Well, not only that, if you want eclipse to play nice with tomcat (and
have eclipse obey break points and what not), then you in fact start
tomcat from within eclipse, right? I have been doing this for a while now
so I don't see what the problem could be..?

Would something like this link help:
http://plato.acadiau.ca/courses/comp/dsilver/2513/EclipseAndTomcatTutorial/

Geeta

Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com>
08/09/2005 01:26 PM
Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

cc

Subject
{Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} Re: {Spam?} validate() not called

I haven't used 5.5.9, but my guess is that the gui is just a
pointy-clicky front end for some scripts and one can still launch it
with a shell script or batch file. Maybe take a look in
<tomcat_home>/bin for launcher scripts.

http://www.google.com/search?q=xrunjdwp+tomcat

> > -ed
> >
> > On 8/8/05, Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I cannot do that, since the 2 forms are having different fields.
> > >
> > > Somehow the tomcat 5.5.9 doesnt work with eclipse for my project. I
am
> > > using ui to start tomcat.
> > >
> > > thanks anyways.
> > >
> > > Jay

name="UpdateOverridePageForm"

HttpServletRequest

ServletRequest

Posted by Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com>.
I haven't used 5.5.9, but my guess is that the gui is just a
pointy-clicky front end for some scripts and one can still launch it
with a shell script or batch file. Maybe take a look in
<tomcat_home>/bin for launcher scripts.

On 8/9/05, Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI,
> I have a problem here too. I dont understand how to configure this for
> tomcat5.5.9 which uses the UI for running it. The link which you
> mentioned has remedy for older tomcat, which uses files for
> configuration.
>
> Any help would be great.
>
> Jay
>
> On 8/8/05, Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You don't need to have "tomcat work with eclipse" to debug action
> > classes. All you need is to make changes to the tomcat startup file to
> > enable JDWP debugging on a socket, and then tell eclipse to start
> > debugging at the socket and hostname if on a different host or
> > localhost if same box. Set a breakpoint in your project's source, and
> > you'll be all set.
> >
> > see the first few links here: http://www.google.com/search?q=xrunjdwp+tomcat
> >
> > -ed
> >
> > On 8/8/05, Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I cannot do that, since the 2 forms are having different fields.
> > >
> > > Somehow the tomcat 5.5.9 doesnt work with eclipse for my project. I am
> > > using ui to start tomcat.
> > >
> > > thanks anyways.
> > >
> > > Jay

Re: {Spam?} validate() not called

Posted by GR...@intellicare.com.
So what is the problem you are having? I am using eclipse and tomcat 5.5.9
just fine...?
Geeta

Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>
08/09/2005 01:10 PM

Posted by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>.
HI,

Posted by Ed Griebel <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>.
I have mapped only for the update**form (the one which works)...
<formset>

        <form name="UpdateOverridePageForm">

            <field property="duration"
                    depends="requiredif">
                <arg0   key="errors.duration.required"/>
				<var>
				<var-name>field[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>edit_delete</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldTest[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>EQUAL</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldValue[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>2</var-value>
			  </var>
				<var>
				<var-name>fieldValue[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>2</var-value>
			  </var>

            </field>

			<field property="earliest_start"
                    depends="requiredif">
                <arg0   key="errors.arrive.required"/>
				<var>
				<var-name>field[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>edit_delete</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldTest[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>EQUAL</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldValue[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>2</var-value>
			  </var>
            </field>

			<field property="latest_start"
                    depends="requiredif">
                <arg0   key="errors.complete.required"/>
				<var>
				<var-name>field[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>edit_delete</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldTest[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>EQUAL</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldValue[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>2</var-value>
			  </var>
            </field>

			<field property="location"
                    depends="requiredif">
                <arg0   key="errors.location"/>
				<var>
				<var-name>field[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>edit_delete</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldTest[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>EQUAL</var-value>
			  </var>
			  <var>
				<var-name>fieldValue[0]</var-name>
				<var-value>2</var-value>
			  </var>
            </field>

        </form>

    </formset>

I had also mapped for the maintain...but removed it...it doesnt work
even with it...

for maintain it was similar with one more field..

Jay

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Posted by Jay Sheth <sh...@gmail.com>.
checked that...