Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Veillard <da...@veillard.com> on 2001/07/06 02:14:39 UTC

Re: rip-proofing content

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:15:35PM -0700, John E. Mayorga wrote:
> I've thought of a couple of way I might be able to protect her content,
> and I was hoping someone with a similar problem might offer some
> suggestions.

  Just a guess, it's a porn site, right ;-) ?

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com

Re[2]: rip-proofing content

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@neo.rr.com>.
Hello Daniel,

DV> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:15:35PM -0700, John E. Mayorga wrote:
>> I've thought of a couple of way I might be able to protect her content,
>> and I was hoping someone with a similar problem might offer some
>> suggestions.

DV>   Just a guess, it's a porn site, right ;-) ?

DV> Daniel

Daniel, what does that have to do with anything?  If anything, you should be
HAPPY that the majority of the adult websites out there use Apache?  We pull
MORE bandwidth PER day than most sites pull in a couple of months!  We
definitely STRESS test apache a LOT!!! Also, I'd like to point out three other
things.

#1) The adult entertainment industry on the net has been about the only (if
not only) industry on the net to continue to make money throughout the slowing
economy.

#2) The adult entertainment industry is usually 6 months to 1 year AHEAD of
where the mainstream net is going to be.  QED you get a look at the future of
the net.

#3) Since people tend to like to download porn as quickly as possible, ISP's
and backbones keep expanding their pipe and therefore, we ALL benifit by
faster connections!

Anyway.. John, what you MIGHT be able to do is use htaccess to at least put
SOME kind of hotlinking protection in.

IE try this:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^Mozilla.*/
RewriteRule /* http://www.yoursite.com/ripper.html

Note, many site rippers can pretend to be a normal surfer so this might not
help as much as you would want... :(

Bout the only other thing I can think of is you can use something like
mod_throttle to throttle the bandwidth for each client therefore a cable modem
or DSL junkie will take as long to download the site as a 56ker would.  QED
they might give up.

--
Best regards,
 Jeff Stuart