Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Will Horn <wi...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/12 05:34:40 UTC

maven-bundle-plugin:bundleall throws NullPointerException

I have attached a test case where I get an NPE while running the bundleall
goal.  The scenario is this:

bundle-all-test: root project, defines dependency on log4j with a version
range and runtime scope in dependencyManagement

proj1: jar project depending on log4j, reducing scope to compile

proj2: pom project depending on proj1

To reproduce, run 'mvn install
org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin:bundleall' in the base directory.  I
wanted to post here first since I am unsure if this is a problem with the
maven-bundle-plugin or not.  If so, I would be happy to file a bug.  If not,
please direct me to the appropriate place to continue my complaint :o)

Thanks so much,
Will

http://www.nabble.com/file/p23495574/bundle-all-test.zip bundle-all-test.zip

Re: maven-bundle-plugin:bundleall throws NullPointerException

Posted by Will Horn <wi...@gmail.com>.
I don't know why I can't reproduce that.  I even re-downloaded the zip I
uploaded and cleared my local repo.  I'm using maven 2.0.0 of the plugin and
tried on both 2.0.9 and 2.1.0 of maven.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:181)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:356)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:137)
        at
        at
        at
        at
Caused by: java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:203)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:132)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:112)
        at
org.apache.maven.shared.osgi.DefaultMaven2OsgiConverter.getBundleSymbolicName(DefaultMaven2OsgiConver
ter.java:88)
        ... 26 more

because it tries to treat the pom as a jarfile, which is of course wrong...

Cheers, Stuart

Re: maven-bundle-plugin:bundleall throws NullPointerException

Posted by Will Horn <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/5/13 Will Horn <wi...@gmail.com>

> Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> >
> > the "bundleall" goal assumes you're running it against a jar/bundle
> > project
> > - it should be more forgiving
> >
> Is this all that is going on?  If I change proj2 to be a jar project, I get
> the same exception.  The exception happens in the dependency tree builder
> [1].  To me (disclaimer: not familiar at all with the code), there seems to
> be an issue with version ranges.

this is a separate issue (different to the one in your original testcase
configuration)

the narrow version range is causing an error inside the Maven dependency
code,
if it's a mistake in the pom we should report it properly (without the
exception trace)
but if it's a problem in the dependency code then we might need to work
around it

feel free to open a separate issue for this, as it's a different problem

[ the bundleall goal has not had much testing against reactor projects or
projects
  with version ranges, as it was originally designed for a simple project
use-case ]

I created a bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1148 and we can

Cheers, Stuart

Re: maven-bundle-plugin:bundleall throws NullPointerException

Posted by Will Horn <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/5/12 Will Horn <wi...@gmail.com>

> I have attached a test case where I get an NPE while running the bundleall
> goal.  The scenario is this:
>
> bundle-all-test: root project, defines dependency on log4j with a version
> range and runtime scope in dependencyManagement
>
> proj1: jar project depending on log4j, reducing scope to compile
>
> proj2: pom project depending on proj1
>
> To reproduce, run 'mvn install
> org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin:bundleall' in the base directory.  I
> wanted to post here first since I am unsure if this is a problem with the
> maven-bundle-plugin or not.  If so, I would be happy to file a bug.  If
> not,
> please direct me to the appropriate place to continue my complaint :o)

looks like a bug to me (and the same exception occurs with previous
releases, so it's not a regression)
the "bundleall" goal assumes you're running it against a jar/bundle project
- it should be more forgiving

please open an issue at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX along
with a patch if you have one ;)