Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/30 12:41:45 UTC

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Hi dear PMCs,

I would like to reactivate this discussion, because we (our team) are
wondering if there is still a roadmap for the forthcoming releases
somewhere. The
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule
confluence page contains very few (not say no) information about this.

Am I missing something or did something change for the release management?

Best regards,

JMB

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 01.12.22 12:50, Jean-Marc Borer wrote:
>> Short answer, yes - eg. link on all release candidate emails
>> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Amerged+milestone%3ANB16
>
> I didn't know that one. Milestones are a cool way to mark specific merges
>
> Longer answer, there is some work going on to better categorize all
>> this - eg. https://github.com/apache/netbeans/releases  The draft one
>> particularly, but that's private.
>
> That is what I was looking for, but this list is not available until a few
> days before the release, right?
>
> Not recently.  What prompted the question?
> We were wondering if there is a kind of a road map of planned new features
> people agreed to work on.

there is no project wide roadmap. Whatever is ready, is reviewed and
makes sense to be included is merged before a release.

Individual contributors might have plans for features they really want
to see in upcoming releases, but there is no project wide one.

the milestones are like a queue of items to integrate before the next
release, what doesn't make it will be moved to the next milestone or
will lose the milestone tag.

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/milestone/20 (that is for NB17)

Keep in mind this is not a final list since candidates are added as they
appear.

> Moreover in our company, when we foresee to release a given feature for a
> specific version, we tag it even long before the final release.

well if your company wants to contribute something, put it on your
roadmap :)

regards,

-mbien

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
So are milestones added before  (leading up to a release)  or after
(tagging PRs included/merged) into the actual release?

Would a "milestone r - candidate" tag/milestone be valuable as an "up
front" to help collect of possible candidate PRs for a coming release as a
way of a given PR author as saying "I want this to be included into the
next release"?  Or would it be tagged for the release even if it doesn't
get included (I assume at that point the milestone would be removed by the
release manager or applicable authority)?

Or would the tagging be done during the PR completion activity (i.e. once
PR is completed, accepted [and merged?]) it would be tagged in the
applicable milestone release and merged into main (or a release branch)?

The above someone has the ability to tag things to a given milestone (i.e.
not new committers/contributors without the ability).

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 12/3/22 04:53, Michael Bien wrote:
> On 30.11.22 16:08, Neil C Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 15:02, Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, so does it mean, that I have to check Github history to find out
>>> what
>>> is in a upcoming release  (16 for example)?
>> Short answer, yes - eg. link on all release candidate emails
>> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pulls?q=is%3Amerged+milestone%3ANB16
>>
>> Longer answer, there is some work going on to better categorize all
>> this - eg. https://github.com/apache/netbeans/releases  The draft one
>> particularly, but that's private.
>
> I updated the release notes for 16:
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans/releases/tag/16

Thanks for that! I've manually edited that, grouping my editor work.

OMG. Just realized, I'm the Editor guy in NB16!

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
I thought something like this was proposed or in use but aren’t PR tagged or label with some form of release tag?  Would that help?

Ok, so does it mean, that I have to check Github history to find out what
is in a upcoming release  (16 for example)?

JMB

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap

Posted by Jean-Marc Borer <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Netbeans Vision / Roadmap