Posted to builds@apache.org by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2017/06/27 07:03:13 UTC

[JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

ASF Jenkins Master Migration and Upgrade on :-

Location	                                        Local Time	                                        Time Zone	UTC Offset
Melbourne (Australia - Victoria)	Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 10:00:00 am	AEST	        UTC+10 hours
New York (USA - New York)	        Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 8:00:00 pm	EDT	                UTC-4 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT)	        Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 00:00:00

Hi All,

A few things are going to happen in just over 2 weeks.

1. Migration of Jenkins to a new host. A Jenkins Master module and yaml have been puppetized and ready to go.
    What we need to do to migrate the Master away from its current host is turn off the old service. Perform a final
    rsync of data and perform the migration tasks.

    As we intend to preserve history for jobs this will take some time.
    At the same time as doing this migration to a new host, all slave connections will be updated (see below.)
    I have no current estimate of downtime, but it will run into several hours. We do plan to run this migration on a
    Sunday at the lowest part of Jenkins usual usage.

2. Upgrade of Jenkins - Jenkins project released a new LTS release, version 2.60.1. This is a major release and breaks
    Jenkins in terms of Maven jobs for JDK 7 in the same way that it happened for Maven and JDK 6 a few months back.

    The infra team (mainly myself) got quite some feedback on not supplying advance notice of this breakage. That upgrade
    however was necessary due to security fixes that required our upgrade.  This email serves as advance warning of the
    upcoming upgrade of Jenkins, the downtime due to the migration of the service to a new host; and notice of the breakage
    to JDK 7 that the upgrade brings.

    Please familiarise yourself with the Jenkins LTS upgrade notes at [1].
    In particular please note:-

    “…2.60.1 is the first Jenkins LTS release that requires Java 8 to run. If you're using the Maven Project type, please note that it needs to use a JDK capable of running Jenkins, i.e. JDK 8 or up. If you configure an older JDK in a Maven Project, Jenkins will attempt to find a newer JDK and use that automatically. If your SSH Slaves fail to start and you have the plugin install the JRE to run them, make sure to update SSH Slaves Plugin to at least version 1.17 (1.20 recommended).
Changes since 2.60:
Fix for NullPointerException while initiating some SSH connections (regression in 2.59). (issue 44120 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-44120>)
Notable changes since 2.46.3:
Jenkins (master and agents) now requires Java 8 to run. (issue 27624 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-27624> <>, issue 42709 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-42709> <>, pull 2802 <https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2802>, announcement blog post <https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/04/10/jenkins-has-upgraded-to-java-8/>)

…”

There are over 30 other enhancements/fixes since 2.46.2 which we currently run so please do take a note of those.

Recap: In just over 2 weeks, downtime for a migration AND upgrade is planned.

Please do not rely on Jenkins at all for that weekend if you use it in your release workflow.

Please do take this notice back to your dev lists.

Any questions or concerns please email back to builds@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> only.

Thanks

Gav…

[1] - https://jenkins.io/changelog-stable/

Re: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the heads-up. I think I've already migrated our builds.apache.org
jobs to use JDK8, because of some annoying permgen space exhaustion with
the asciidoc-maven-plugin which I couldn't resolve. We currently rely on
the maven-enforcer-plugin animal-sniffer rule to ensure we avoid Java 8
APIs when compiling with JDK8, so I think we're safe. Although... we may
wish to still do releases on the 1.7 and 1.8 branches using an actual JDK7
if we want to be extra safe for a release.

Fwd: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Re: Fwd: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@live.com>.
Yeah! following paragraph:

	"This is a major release and breaks Jenkins in terms of Maven jobs for
JDK 7 in the same way that it happened for Maven and JDK 6 a few months
back."

means we should drop support of both JDK6 & JDK7.

Posted by Christoph Nenning <Ch...@lex-com.net>.
In theory it should be possible to create new build jobs with type
"freestyle" instead of type "maven". Then maven could be invoked via shell
and jdk 7 (or even 6). But all configuration (e.g. collection of test
results and aritfacts) must be done manually then.

wdyt?

Regards,
Christoph

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
This can affect our builds :\

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
I believe the answer is "maybe" at this point. The phrasing of the alert
seems to be saying "jdk7 might not work", but non-committal in that warning.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Sorry for the churn! I didn't update my inbox soon enough it seems and
missed Mike's thread when sending mine :)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Oleg and All, FYI.

Gary

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2017-06-27 at 15:48 +0000, Stefan Seifert wrote:
> i'm ok with 1)
> we still have the compile and signature check in the poms.
>
> i cannot remember any problems in in the last 1-2 years that where
> related to differences between the JDK versions.

Done via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7005 .

Robert

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.
i'm ok with 1)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
We already ignore ASF infra's jdk and rely on openjdk7 via docker for
precommit on branch-1 and earlier.

Sounds like we'll need to update our nightly runs to similarly rely on
docker, which is a pretty good reason to switch to yetus' nightly check
mode.

This is what, like 2 weeks notice?

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
See info below.
It looks as we're on the Maven project build type for some builds so that
this will affect us wrt JDK7 deprecation.

/Anders

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Thanks sebb!

For now, the approach with a Free Style Job fits our needs :)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Fwd: REMINDER: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Posted by Geoff Macartney <ge...@cloudsoft.io>.
Just for general awareness, I'm forwarding an Infra reminder relating to
downtime on the Apache Jenkins instances this weekend.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
HI Folks,

Re: Time to give up on Java 7 compatibility? [Fwd: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 June 2017 at 09:32, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 00:49 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> It's only Maven projects that have to be run with Java 8 on Jenkins.
>> And this only affects the Maven framework.
>>
>> Compilation and testing can still be done with earlier Java versions.
>>
>> Commons has lots of components that target Java 6 or even 5, and they
>> work fine with current Jenkins (which needs Java 7).
>>

> It does not look that way to me. I understand one can still spawn any
> arbitrary process with Jenkins as a job but this is not the same as
> having full Maven project support.

Commons uses profiles (defined in the parent pom) to specify the JDK
used for compile and test.
For example, Commons Net builds fine but requires 1.6
It runs as a Maven project, not freestyle.
The job uses JDK 8, but compile/test use 1.6

I probably don't have time to look at this today, but I may have time tomorrow.

> ---
> [httpcomponents-client-4.5.x] $ /home/jenkins/tools/java/latest1.6/bin/java -Xmx2g -Xms256m -cp /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven33-agent.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9/boot/plexus-classworlds-2.5.2.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9/conf/logging jenkins.maven3.agent.Maven33Main /home/jenkins/tools/maven/apache-maven-3.3.9 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/slave.jar /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven33-interceptor.jar /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-interceptor-commons.jar 39826
> Native maven support requires Java 1.7 or later, but this Maven is using /usr/local/asfpackages/java/jdk1.6.0_45-64/jre
> Please use the freestyle project.

For the next release of Jenkins, AFAICT it will try to find a JDK8 to
run Maven projects.
So the job will run, but not using the expected JDK.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.