Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/19 09:46:11 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Tephra for HBase transactions

Hi all,

I would like to introduce a new open source project, Continuuity Tephra,
which provides scalable, distributed transactions for Apache HBase.

Tephra provides "snapshot isolation" for concurrent transactions spanning
multiple regions, tables, and RPC calls.  A central transaction manager
provides globally unique, time-based transaction IDs and efficient conflict
detection.  Multiple transaction manager instances can be run to provide
automated failover that is transparent to clients. A simple client API,
including a drop-in replacement for HTable, makes it easy to work with
transactional operations.

Tephra was built to leverage core HBase features in order to operate
efficiently.  HBase cell versions provide multi-version concurrency control
for isolation.  Efficient transactional reads are performed using
server-side filtering, minimizing the amount of data scanned.  Coprocessors
hook into region flush and compaction operations to clean up data from
invalidated or no longer visible transactions.

Tephra is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

Tephra on Github (including docs):
https://github.com/continuuity/tephra

User and Developer Mailing List:
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/tephra-dev

Please take a look at Tephra and get involved to make it even better!

Gary Helmling

Re: ANNOUNCE: Tephra for HBase transactions

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Awesome!

Please consider adding a pointer to Tephra to the HBase wiki's supporting
projects page: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/SupportingProjects

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: ANNOUNCE: Tephra for HBase transactions

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Awesome!

--
Best regards,