Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2002/08/27 19:58:43 UTC

It's not the technology - it's the process

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]

>>>+100 for trying, mate.
>>>
>>>+1 for keeping on trying, but
>>>
>>>+0 for your chances of success.
>>>
>>>Mediation is only useful if the two sides want to get along.
>>>So far it seems like Peter and Stephen are fine with making any
>>>compromise and that they are happy to include any Merlin/Phoenix
>>>feature - as long as the end result is *exactly* like they
>>>intended it all along.
>>>

>>Leo:
>>
>>Let me point out to you a two or three facts of life:

>>This isn't what I indended - it's better - a lot better!
>>

>Stephen,
>
>I'm not about to get into an argument with you on this. This thread
>(and its predecessors) has been a time-sink since it started. The
>issue is not your achievements, Merlin speaks for itself, it is the
>mailing-list/CVS/code-war that you and Peter have been at for a while
>now.
>
>So let me just sum it up: Both you and Peter are convinced that you
>are right. You are both willing to compromise. But not enough for
>any type of mediation, because you would have to give up some central
>notion of your design. Thus deadlock. Thus any type of mediation is a
>total and utter waste of time for everyone involved.

I don't want an argument either ... so there's two things we agree on ;-)

I work with a lot of code and that code is very dependent on Avalon
Framework - and like you I don't want the framework to change.  Its been
a year or two that I've been doing things here in Avalon and during that
time Pete's been the most active contributor of code - really good code.

Problem is that we have been very comfortable with Pete doing
everything.  I know I have been really comfortable sitting back and
watching Phoenix evolve.  New features, new benefits - and all of this
for free!

But there is a dark side - Pete's not ok with the process of dealing
with alternative opinions - and I'm not just talking about mine - I'm
talking about this is a general sense.  We have already some significant
fractures in Avalon (e.g. interpretation of lookup semantics in ECM and
Phoenix are totally different - Merlin/Containerkit going in divergent
directions).  We can continue to build are own playgrounds or we can act
with responsibility concerning the evolution of a complete solution - a
solution without fractures.  To achieve this we need much better Avalon
level process to control product and service evolution.

For example, I watch commits of containerkit dependencies into Phoenix
without a single word of discussion - not even a comment. One more
fracture in the Avalon technology offer.  This typifies my objection and
my basic concern.  We - you - me - and the other committers here at
Avalon have to take much more responsibility for the direction and
integrity of this project.

Avalon cannot grow without engagement and responsibility.

This isn't about the technology.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell