Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sebastian Kügler <li...@vizZzion.org> on 2004/11/11 02:53:48 UTC

corruption in repository

Hi,

I am using svn for some time now. From time to time I encounter problems
with a working copy which is not anymore usable for svn.

This usually shows up like:

$ svn update
svn: Malformed XML: mismatched tag at line 128

(svn cleanup complains the same way.)

Trying to recover the repository:

$ svnadmin recover .
Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...
svn: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Usually, I can 'fix' things by moving my working copy out of the way,
checking out again, merge the changes by hand and then check them back
in. (This is pretty annoying and often is tedious work, as you might
understand.)

I am using svnserve as server and the commandline svn-tools as client. I
am not running any scripts on the repository, the setup is pretty much
default. The server is running subversion 1.0.9-2, official packages for
Debian Sarge. The client uses the subversion 1.1.0 packages from Gentoo
Linux. Of course, if you'd like to have more info about the system,
please let me know.

Advice on how to fix that and how to prevent such problems in the future
is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
--
sebas

Re: A little guidance for a new user?

Posted by Guido Anzuoni <gu...@kyneste.com>.
Jon Block wrote:
> Hello Subversion Users,
>
> I'm trying out subversion for source code management on a web application
> and I need a little assistance.
>
> Let's say, for example, that all of the files in my repository are ready for
> deployment. I'm trying to find out the best way using subversion to deploy a
> "build" to my production enviornment.
>
> My guess is that I would put the subversion client on my production server,
> and then issue a command on the production server which would execute some
> sort of checkout process.
>
> Is there documentation on how to do this properly? When I deploy my project
> to the production server, I don't want the svn administrative directories so
> there must be some option to check out a copy without that stuff.
>
> Thank you!!
> Jon

There has recently been a thread on the same topic
("Using subversion for website source management", 16/10/2004)
with a lot of suggestions.
Hope it helps,

Guido.

A little guidance for a new user?

Re: corruption in repository

Posted by Sebastian Kügler <li...@vizZzion.org>.
On Thursday 11 November 2004 16:13, Simon Large wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >>
> >> Ahem, just for your info, 'svnadmin recover' is not to be run on a
> >> workingcopy.
> >
> > Of course, here, the current directory is the repository path, should
> > have made that more clear. :-)
>
> Just to be sure, you don't have your repository and your working copy
> in the same directory, do you?

Yes, they're even on different machines.

--
sebas

Re: corruption in repository

Posted by Sebastian Kügler <se...@vizzzion.org>.

--
sebas

Re: corruption in repository

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk>.

Posted by Mark <ma...@msdhub.com>.
I don't know what's causing the problem, but that file isn't valid XML (and
that's exactly what svn is saying!). The xml declaration isn't the only
thing that is missing, there's no <wc-entries> begin tag either.

Mark

Posted by Sebastian Kügler <li...@vizZzion.org>.
On Thursday 11 November 2004 10:36, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > I am using svn for some time now. From time to time I encounter
> > problems with a working copy which is not anymore usable for svn.
> >
> > This usually shows up like:
> >
> > $ svn update
> > svn: Malformed XML: mismatched tag at line 128
> >
> > (svn cleanup complains the same way.)
> >
> > Trying to recover the repository:
> >
> > $ svnadmin recover .
> > Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...
> > svn: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>
> Ahem, just for your info, 'svnadmin recover' is not to be run on a
> workingcopy.

Of course, here, the current directory is the repository path, should have
made that more clear. :-)

> > Usually, I can 'fix' things by moving my working copy out of the way,
> > checking out again, merge the changes by hand and then check them
> > back in. (This is pretty annoying and often is tedious work, as you
> > might understand.)
>
> Something is corrupting the metadata that Subversion stores in the .svn
> subdir(at least that's what I think it is). Did you by any chance run
> some stupid search-and-replace tools on it(stupid in the sense that
> they ignored write protection and 'hidden' subdirs)? Anything else that
> might have touched these? Is there any pattern in when the corruption
> occurs?

I did not use any search-and-replace tools, so I think this can be
excluded. I even would say that nothing but svn touched these
directories. I also can't see any pattern in this behaviour. :(

> It would also be interesting to have the corrupted XML file and know
> what exactly is wrong with it.

From the strace of svn update I learned, that svn is opening .svn/log
right before the error occurs. Having a look at said file, it is missing
the first line, which should be

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

, right? The entries file has this line (although I remember also having
problems with corruptions of the entries file from time to time).

I attached a zipped .svn/log, hoping it gives you additional information.

Cheers,
--
sebas
--------------

Re: corruption in repository

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> I am using svn for some time now. From time to time I encounter problems
> with a working copy which is not anymore usable for svn.
>
> This usually shows up like:
>
> $ svn update
> svn: Malformed XML: mismatched tag at line 128
>
> (svn cleanup complains the same way.)
>
> Trying to recover the repository:
>
> $ svnadmin recover .
> Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...
> svn: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Ahem, just for your info, 'svnadmin recover' is not to be run on a
workingcopy.

> Usually, I can 'fix' things by moving my working copy out of the way,
> checking out again, merge the changes by hand and then check them back
> in. (This is pretty annoying and often is tedious work, as you might
> understand.)

Something is corrupting the metadata that Subversion stores in the .svn
subdir(at least that's what I think it is). Did you by any chance run some
stupid search-and-replace tools on it(stupid in the sense that they ignored
write protection and 'hidden' subdirs)? Anything else that might have touched
these? Is there any pattern in when the corruption occurs?
It would also be interesting to have the corrupted XML file and know what
exactly is wrong with it.

Uli