Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com> on 2017/05/02 02:30:01 UTC

Outgoing email without DMARC

Might be slightly off topic but I've been running into more delivery
problems with outgoing email because I don't use DMARC. I don't know a
lot about it but is there some simple way I can get around this? Kind of
a pain in the rear.

--
Marc Perkel - Sales/Support
support@junkemailfilter.com

Re: Outgoing email without DMARC

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
>From: Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>

>Might be slightly off topic but I've been running into more delivery
>problems with outgoing email because I don't use DMARC. I don't know a
>lot about it but is there some simple way I can get around this? Kind of
>a pain in the rear.

What kind of problems are you seeing.  If you don't DKIM sign messages
or publish a _dmarc.example.com TXT record then there shouldn't be any
problems.  A valid SPF record with "~all" or "-all" is a must these days.

Is Google complaining about something in a bounce response?

You should setup DMARC anyway since it's gaining more traction much
like SPF did a few years ago.  DKIM signing is the next step if you already
have your SPF setup.

The best part about DMARC is it's reporting feature that can tell you
how the Internet sees your SPF, DKIM, and DMARC alignment and who
is sending as your domain.  This can help you fine tune or verify that
your SPF record is good so you can set "-all" for maximum effect.  Then
when you have your DMARC fine tuned and verified correct, you can
set "p=reject" for maximum spoof protection.  This is where we all
should be headed soon.

Dave

Re: Outgoing email without DMARC

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 02.05.17 08:09, Marc Perkel wrote:
>The rejection message specified dmarc as the reason.

show us the message.
Doesn't it just recommmend using DMARC as one of ways to fix your problem?

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse

Re: Outgoing email without DMARC

Posted by "A. Schulze" <sc...@andreasschulze.de>.

Am 02.05.2017 um 17:09 schrieb Marc Perkel:

> On 05/02/17 03:54, RW wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 May 2017 19:30:01 -0700
>> Marc Perkel wrote:
>>
>>> Might be slightly off topic but I've been running into more delivery
>>> problems with outgoing email because I don't use DMARC.
>> How do you know it's because you don't use DMARC.
>>

> The rejection message specified dmarc as the reason.
may you provide
 - src ip
 - RFC5321.MailFrom
 - RFC5322.From
 - the rejection message

Andreas

Re: Outgoing email without DMARC

Posted by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>.

On 05/02/17 07:14, Rob McEwen wrote:
> On 5/1/2017 10:30 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>> Might be slightly off topic but I've been running into more delivery
>> problems with outgoing email because I don't use DMARC. I don't know a
>> lot about it but is there some simple way I can get around this? Kind of
>> a pain in the rear.
>
> Marc,
>
> This probably has more to do with DKIM than DMARC?
>
> Either way... you're not willing to jump (or haven't yet jumped)
> though the hoops that the largest ISPs/hosters want us all to jump
> through... meanwhile... so many of them (and for many many years) have
> sent such high volumes AND high percentages of outbound spam to all of
> our SMTPs - to such an extent that you and I would be out of business
> if our SMTP outbound traffic did that for just one week.
>
> I sort of wish they (or many of them... "if the shoe fits...") would
> clean up their own act FIRST - get the basics done FIRST - before
> imposing new standards on the rest of us.
>
> I'm in the same boat - I'm now having to set aside dozens of hours to
> get all various domains updated to DKIM so that they'll have more
> success sending to a certain large/famous hoster - who has sent my
> server a shitload of spam over the past several years (not just
> volume-wise - but percentage-wise... I'd be run out of town if I did
> that)

Yeah - I know what you mean. Many of these ISPs would be blacklisted if
they weren't so big. I get an amazing amount of spam from the big guys.
I was just wondering what I could do to get by.

Posted by Rob McEwen <ro...@invaluement.com>.

Posted by Rupert Gallagher <ru...@protonmail.com>.
> junkemailfilter.com. 35997 IN TXT  "v=spf1 a mx ptr ip4:184.105.182.0/24 ip4:69.50.231.128/26 ip4:108.38.233.28 ip4:198.23.154.75 ip4:172.245.58.202 ?all"

Change ?all into -all.

Add this:

_dmarc.junkemailfilter.com. IN TXT "v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=reject; aspf=s; rua=mailto:postmaster@junkemailfilter.com; ruf=mailto:postmaster@junkemailfilter.com; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400"

If you add dkim signatures to outgoing email, you may want to improve the above dmarc RR accordingly.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:30 AM, Marc Perkel <[support@](mailto:support@junkemailfilter.com)[junkemailfilter.com](mailto:support@junkemailfilter.com)> wrote:  Might be slightly off topic but I've been running into more delivery