Posted to repository@apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2003/10/31 01:44:02 UTC

Argrement #1? : Layout (aka URL)

Let's try to work this one through to completion:

I think this is close to what some (most?) here are accustomed to, and are
comfortable with.

We need to enumerate <type> [in 'English', I have to assume,
jar/src/etc...], and later agree on <group> and <id>, but I believe this is
a fair stake in the ground. I think we need to assume that we'll have
repository versions (perhaps stored readable in metadata in the root) and
hope we can migrate folks, but we'd be daft to think we could get it right
first time. As such, I'd like to agree on this and move on (to metadata).

Two *minor* points:

1) From my parsing experience... We have issues if there is a -{n} inside
the <id> or if version does not start with a numeric. (That is, it is an
issue if we are using the repository as something to read standalone, and
not in conjunction with some client-side metadata.)

2) Also, I know the eclipse folk like an underscore as opposed to a hyphen.
Sure, they aren't ASF, but it'd be nice to be able to get full stacks easily
& folks build on top of Eclipse. Not sure how we deal with "non-conformist"
file formats. More metadata?

Dion, do you wish to manage some soft of draft/vote(or general
consensus)/agreement scheme on the Wiki? I feel that we need a clean/simple
way to present what we agree upon (maybe in Wiki), and can build upon, and
separate that from random thoughts.

regards,

Adam
--
Experience Sybase Technology...
http://www.try.sybase.com

Re: re Group was Argrement #1? : Layout (aka URL)

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Given Noel's concern about Top Level Project and projects moving.
>>I think that leaves us with the java package name.
>>

>Why?

So lets go back to the start.
What sould the "group" part be.  The java pakcage name works for me.

>>Also to keep the listing smaller can group  be something like
>>/apache/commons/beantuils  or must it be apache-comons-beanutils.

>Do we have conflicts within Apache?

There is jakarta commons   and apache commons, not sure if it is a real
conflict.

But my question is can the the <group> part have subdirs  or must a
<group> be a legal file name,  Can we use / as a seperator or must we use -.

R,
Nick

RE: re Group was Argrement #1? : Layout (aka URL)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> >Let's try to work this one through to completion:
> So what should group be

> Given Noel's concern about Top Level Project and projects moving.
> I think that leaves us with the java package name.

Why?

> Also to keep the listing smaller can group  be something like
> /apache/commons/beantuils  or must it be apache-comons-beanutils.

Do we have conflicts within Apache?

	--- Noel

re Group was Argrement #1? : Layout (aka URL)

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Let's try to work this one through to completion:

So what should group be

Given Noel's concern about Top Level Project and projects moving.  I
think that leaves us with the java package name.  Allowing non java
groups to use
org.apache.tlp  and then whatever.

Re: Argrement #1? : Layout (aka URL)

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Version must be somewere in the path.
>>

>Why?
>
>I think Adam has a pretty good starting point.  And although a .ext is going
>to be common, we should drop it as a requirement:

>	--- Noel

I guess unversioned as an implicit LATEST  or Uknown Version. is fine.

RE: Argrement #1? : Layout (aka URL)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Let's try to work this one through to completion:

Should be

Version must be somewere in the path.