Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Ashutosh Airi <aa...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/23 15:53:10 UTC

Suggestions for Apache Open Office writer 4.1.7.

Dear Sir/Madam,

1. If the spell check facility of writer can be improved to have keyboard
shortcuts then the usage for regular users like me can increase.

2. If the spell check facility is improved to allow inclusion of external
text files as reference files for spell check then one can have his own
custom built spell check file that will eventually result in lesser and
lesser time being spent on spell check. In 4.1.7 (En-US) "Writer" I could
not find the path to the spell check file like ....custom.dic of Word 2000.

3. Macro facility of Word 2000 does not allow external txt files to
attached in a VB project thereby limits the spell check correction and it
cannot be increased to several thousands of corrections. I get an error on
an Lenovo I3 L412 after the vb code length increases more than 2200 words
per file and has therefore resulted in entering about 45 files to the spell
check macro whenever I format the device. Generally format of the device is
to be done after about a month. The OS being used is Win XP sp2.

4. I have not been able to use the available "Autocorrect" facility on the
spell check popup window. My suggestion would be to use this tab
exclusively for the user to have his own spell check system:
a) a few attachable, modifiable and increasable txt dict reference files.
b) a macro facilitation that is able to correct a few thousand already
corrected and recorded strings/ string sequences (an ocr text can present
even a simple word as: "Pres-ident" "butthe" "isan" etc.
c) Auto text entries that are too frequently needed to be corrected.

I can send you the text samples that I correct everyday.

With regards.
Ashutosh Airi
9818869041

Re: Suggestions for Apache Open Office writer 4.1.7.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Ashutosh Airi wrote:
> 1. If the spell check facility of writer can be improved to have keyboard
> shortcuts then the usage for regular users like me can increase.

You are not subscribed to the list. You may miss replies. See
https://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html and please note that I
am unable to follow up with personal conversations (i.e., please reply
to the list if you reply).

I think we already support most of your requests. There is a keyboard
shortcut for the spell-checker (F7 but may depend on language) and the
Menu key triggers the local menu for adding/ignoring etc.

> 2. If the spell check facility is improved to allow inclusion of external
> text files as reference files for spell check then one can have his own
> custom built spell check file that will eventually result in lesser and
> lesser time being spent on spell check. In 4.1.7 (En-US) "Writer" I could
> not find the path to the spell check file like ....custom.dic of Word 2000.

We support custom dictionaries, just I'm not sure they are in the form
of text files. You add to these dictionaries from the interface. See
documentation (press F1) for more.

> 3. Macro facility of Word 2000 does not allow external txt files to
> attached in a VB project thereby limits the spell check correction and it
> cannot be increased to several thousands of corrections. I get an error on
> an Lenovo I3 L412 after the vb code length increases more than 2200 words
> per file and has therefore resulted in entering about 45 files to the spell
> check macro whenever I format the device. Generally format of the device is
> to be done after about a month. The OS being used is Win XP sp2.

I don't see a need for using a macro for this task.

> 4. I have not been able to use the available "Autocorrect" facility on the
> spell check popup window. My suggestion would be to use this tab
> exclusively for the user to have his own spell check system:
> a) a few attachable, modifiable and increasable txt dict reference files.
> b) a macro facilitation that is able to correct a few thousand already
> corrected and recorded strings/ string sequences (an ocr text can present
> even a simple word as: "Pres-ident" "butthe" "isan" etc.
> c) Auto text entries that are too frequently needed to be corrected.

The autocorrect works mostly the way you describe, with the exception
that it is not based on text files (so you need to manage it through the
UI) and that you setup it manually in the preferences (not in the popup).

Regards,
   Andrea.