Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2004/07/11 05:03:15 UTC

[VOTE] - Bill Siggelkow for committer

I have known Bill for a few years and he is definitely committer material.
He has contributed in numerous ways to this community and others.  I owe him
a great deal for his help with our local Struts Users group, founded in
Atlanta (ASUG) http://www.struts-atlanta.org.  He has given presentations,
mentored junior members, and is responsible for persuading the "powers that
be" into letting us meet at his (former) employer.  I can't say enough about
his generosity.

If anyone is wondering about his skillset, don't.  He is writing the next
O'Reilly book on Struts.

Here is my +1

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] - Bill Siggelkow for committer

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
James Mitchell wrote:

>I have known Bill for a few years and he is definitely committer material.
>He has contributed in numerous ways to this community and others.  I owe him
>a great deal for his help with our local Struts Users group, founded in
>Atlanta (ASUG) http://www.struts-atlanta.org.  He has given presentations,
>mentored junior members, and is responsible for persuading the "powers that
>be" into letting us meet at his (former) employer.  I can't say enough about
>his generosity.
>
>If anyone is wondering about his skillset, don't.  He is writing the next
>O'Reilly book on Struts.
>
>Here is my +1

+1.

Craig

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
+0, As David said I don't know Bill, but look forward to changing that.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
-0.

I could almost quote verbatim the reasons I gave for the same vote on
another proposed committer about 2.5 years ago. In that particular case,
the committer came on board, helped out a bit for a short while, and then
disappeared into the woodwork.

I know Bill has been around for some time on the user list, and I don't
dispute that he's been helpful there. However, to almost quote from that
earlier vote, to reach the bar for committer, from my perspective, I would
want to see more in the way of contributions to the code base than I have
seen to date. (And yes, Ted, documentation is code in my book. ;)

As for Bill being a forthcoming Struts book author, well, don't tell me
you've never read a poor O'Reilly book or a poor Struts book, James! ;-)
(No, I'm not suggesting Bill doesn't know his stuff, or that he can't
write - I'm just pointing out that being an author, by itself, does not
connote quality. ;)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Niall, you express my sentiments much more eloquently than I do. :-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I don't doubt that if he wasn't a great guy and didn't have the ability then
you and others wouldn't have nominated/voted for him - he's probably far
better qualified/experienced to be a committer than myself. Unfortunately I
don't know him persoanlly and nothing I said was against Bill, but it still
seems strange to me to give someone "committ" privledge that isn't currently
contributing to the Struts source - whether code or documentation. Thats
also what you seemed to be saying in this recent post:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@struts.apache.org/msg01749.html

I remember when you were voted in as a committer and at the time you had put
loads of Struts stuff up on http://www.husted.com/struts/ and it was the
main resource link on the Struts site. IMO (and obviously the committers at
the time) you were contributing alot.

Anyway as you said, "...why not cut to chase? As you observed, it's the PMC
votes that are binding" so what I think doesn't matter.

Niall

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:50:57 +0100, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I assume this is PMC members only, but as you're posting this on
> the dev list I guess its open for anyone to give their 2 cents.

It's true that only the PMC votes are binding, but votes and input from
everyone is always encouraged.

> Bill is active on the user list and answers alot of questions -
> thats a big plus in my book and shows he knows what hes talking
> about. Like Rob and David though, I haven't seen any patches from
> Bill and it seems strange to give someone "committ" privledge that
> has never made a submission. I have no personal objection to Bill,
> but if anyone is keen to become a committer and work on Struts then
> in my thinking a minimum requirement would be that they had
> submitted a patch to show that and also provide an example of their
> work

Like me, Bill seems to be more of a documentator than a coder. He submitted
a number of excruciatingly helpful "patches" to the Struts in Action book.
He's also posted presentations to the Struts SouceForge site, which I've
used in my work.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/struts
* jstl-and-struts.pdf
* testing.zip

There was also a wonderful JSTL cheatsheet of his that I've used, but I
can't lay my fingertips on the links right now. Here's some other Siggelkow
links
* http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1895

> Wouldn't it be better to encourage him to get involved first and
> then if he does that bring him in as a committer?

Sure, but, then I'd have to commit all those patches myself, and I honestly
don't have that kind of time anymore. :) Some of us know Bill personally and
can vouch that he's is a righteous dude, so why not cut to chase? As you
observed, it's the PMC votes that are binding.

You know, once upon a time, Craig asked if anyone wanted to help with the
documentation, I raised my hand, and, pop, I was a Committer. At the time, I
think I was asking more questions than I was answering. I had never
submitted a patch or even filed a Bugzilla report.

It's true that one very good reason for nominating someone is because they
are contributing so much, it would be easier to let them commit it
themselves :) Another reason is because a nomination may encourage someone
with a good heart to do more.

-Ted.

Re: [VOTE] - Bill Siggelkow for committer

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:09:24 -0400, Ted Husted wrote:
> then I'd have to commit all those patches myself, and I honestly
> don't have that kind of time anymore.

Oops, poor choice of words. Should have been "then we'd have to commit all those patches, and which of us has that kind of time right now."

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:50:57 +0100, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I assume this is PMC members only, but as you're posting this on
> the dev list I guess its open for anyone to give their 2 cents.

It's true that only the PMC votes are binding, but votes and input from everyone is always encouraged.

> Bill is active on the user list and answers alot of questions -
> thats a big plus in my book and shows he knows what hes talking
> about. Like Rob and David though, I haven't seen any patches from
> Bill and it seems strange to give someone "committ" privledge that
> has never made a submission. I have no personal objection to Bill,
> but if anyone is keen to become a committer and work on Struts then
> in my thinking a minimum requirement would be that they had
> submitted a patch to show that and also provide an example of their
> work

Like me, Bill seems to be more of a documentator than a coder. He submitted a number of excruciatingly helpful "patches" to the Struts in Action book. He's also posted presentations to the Struts SouceForge site, which I've used in my work.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/struts
* jstl-and-struts.pdf
* testing.zip

There was also a wonderful JSTL cheatsheet of his that I've used, but I can't lay my fingertips on the links right now. Here's some other Siggelkow links
* http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1895

> Wouldn't it be better to encourage him to get involved first and
> then if he does that bring him in as a committer?

Sure, but, then I'd have to commit all those patches myself, and I honestly don't have that kind of time anymore. :) Some of us know Bill personally and can vouch that he's is a righteous dude, so why not cut to chase? As you observed, it's the PMC votes that are binding.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
+0

Steve

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Unfortunately, I don't have the benefit of personally knowing Bill.  I
haven't seen any patches or emails on the dev list to know anything about
the quality of his work.  For those reasons I can't give a +1 but I do
respect James' opinion so I won't stand in the way.

+0

David

Posted by James Holmes <ja...@jamesholmes.com>.
+1

I know Bill too and can vouch for everything Mitchell mentions.  His music
may be a little strange, but...

Just kidding Bill!

-James

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Bill has been of huge help to me personally and to many other Struts developers.

+1