Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2003/01/08 06:48:01 UTC

No default target

What is the expected output of

<project>
   <echo message="Called"/>
</project>

Currently I get

Buildfile: src/etc/testcases/core/topleveltasks/nodefault.xml
      [echo] Called
      [echo] Called

I expected either one "Called" or an error.

I can't reproduce this in a testcase - there it is only produced once so I
guess this is something to do with the pseudo target introduced for
top-level tasks somehow becoming the default.

Conor

Re: No default target

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>>
>> When ProjectHelper2 was started, the main branch didn't required a
>> default. This was rolled back in main. The behavior is clearly broken -
>> the top level should be executed only once.
>
> OK, I have removed the execution of the implicit target when no default is
> given and it seems to work.

Thanks !

>> Do we want to keep the required  default ?
>>

> Not a big deal for me, although I don't see the need.

target-less files are interesting ( very simple ). The problem
is with -projecthelp impl - the top level task shouldn't be used
for <javac> or anything but initialization ( otherwise the
help won't work )

Costin

Re: No default target

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Re: No default target

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Conor MacNeill wrote:

> What is the expected output of
>
> <project>
>    <echo message="Called"/>
> </project>
>
> Currently I get
>
> Buildfile: src/etc/testcases/core/topleveltasks/nodefault.xml
>       [echo] Called
>       [echo] Called
>
> I expected either one "Called" or an error.
>
> I can't reproduce this in a testcase - there it is only produced once so I
> guess this is something to do with the pseudo target introduced for
> top-level tasks somehow becoming the default.

When ProjectHelper2 was started, the main branch didn't required a default.
This was rolled back in main. The behavior is clearly broken - the top
level should be executed only once.

The easiest fix is to add back the requirement for a default target. But
that would mean that projects with only top-level tasks won't work.