Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2022/01/20 15:25:30 UTC

[DISCUSS] status of HBase 2.3.x

Hi folks!

Our Peter was asking in Slack about how to find the announcement for EOL on
HBase 2.3 releases. I did some digging around and I think there's been a
miscommunication.

The page header on our project's space on the ASF downloads page[1]
currently says 2.3 was EOL in October 2021. But none of the usual cleanup
has happened; namely 2.3.7 is still in our project download hosting and
listed on our download page.

I’ve found this discussion of EOL 2.3 which we listed in our board report:
https://s.apache.org/i56se

That discussion basically ended with "we need to have the stable pointer
updated to 2.4 first". After that discussion 2.3.7 was released. I can't
find any further discussion or a VOTE thread.

Personally I think we ought to just do a quick VOTE to make it EOL and
clean things up.

What do others think?

[1]: https://downloads.apache.org/hbase/

Re: [DISCUSS] status of HBase 2.3.x

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the digging Sean!
I agree to do a VOTE and send an announcement email to dev and user lists.
The stable pointer was already moved to 2.4 so there shouldn't be any
blockers to officially EOL the 2.3 line.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Makes sense, sounds good.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.