Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Roy, Anthony" <An...@bl.uk> on 2004/12/03 11:14:51 UTC

Using Snapshots.

Hi all,

We have recently started using Maven for our build process on one of the
projects. The project in question is in a stable state, and I want to
version it and use the snapshot feature for the future builds. I have been
building this project as <currentVersion>0.1</currentVersion>. Really I am
not totally sure of how the SNAPSHOT system works.

block to mark the stable version, and then change the project version to
<currentVersion>SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>?

Does it tie in with the version control system at all - or are the versions
in the <versions> block purely a means of recording which stable versions
are available in the repo?

Anthony Roy.

t: 01937 54 (6003)
e: anthony.roy@bl.uk

The British Library
Boston Spa
Wetherby
West Yorkshire
LS23 7BQ

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmaster@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.

Re: Using Snapshots.

Posted by Nicolas Chalumeau <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:14:51 -0000, Roy, Anthony <an...@bl.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have recently started using Maven for our build process on one of the
> projects. The project in question is in a stable state, and I want to
> version it and use the snapshot feature for the future builds. I have been
> building this project as <currentVersion>0.1</currentVersion>. Really I am
> not totally sure of how the SNAPSHOT system works.

> block to mark the stable version, and then change the project version to
> <currentVersion>SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>?

You better have to use versionned snapshot during the dev :
<currentVersion>0.2-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>
And when the 0.2 is stable use the
<currentVersion>0.2</currentVersion> to generate the artifact ...

> Does it tie in with the version control system at all - or are the versions
> in the <versions> block purely a means of recording which stable versions
> are available in the repo?

version element in just an info about the cvs tag for an artifact.
I think you could be insterest by the deploy plugin to automate
release production

Nicolas,