Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2015/07/22 08:49:50 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating [rc1]

This is to call for a vote for the release of Apache Brooklyn
0.7.0-incubating.

The Apache Brooklyn community have voted in favour of making this release:
Vote thread:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-brooklyn-dev/201507.mbox/%3CCABQFKi1WapCMRUqQ93E7Qow5onKgL3nyG3HW9Cse7vo%2BtUChRQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Result email:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-brooklyn-dev/201507.mbox/%3CCABQFKi2aJHHfXGC0xsMFU0odfB5X6FF5xhpHbs93%2BNfS-fNRZw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

We now ask the IPMC to vote on this release.

This release comprises of a source code distribution, and a corresponding
binary distribution, and Maven artifacts.

The source and binary distributions, including signatures, digests, etc.
can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/brooklyn/apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-incubating-rc1

The artifact SHA-256 checksums are as follows:
c3b5c581f14b44aed786010ac7c8c2d899ea0ff511135330395a2ff2a30dd5cf
*apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-incubating-rc1-bin.tar.gz
cef49056ba6e5bf012746a72600b2cee8e2dfca1c39740c945c456eacd6b6fca
*apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-incubating-rc1-bin.zip
8069bfc54e7f811f6b57841167b35661518aa88cabcb070bf05aae2ff1167b5a
*apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-incubating-rc1-src.tar.gz
acd2229c44e93e41372fd8b7ea0038f15fe4aaede5a3bcc5056f28a770543b82
*apache-brooklyn-0.7.0-incubating-rc1-src.zip

The Nexus staging repository for the Maven artifacts is located at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebrooklyn-1004

All release artifacts are signed with the following key:
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/richard.asc

KEYS file available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/brooklyn/KEYS

The artifacts were built from Git commit ID
24a23c5a4fd5967725930b8ceaed61dfbd225980
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-brooklyn.git;a=commit;h=24a23c5a4fd5967725930b8ceaed61dfbd225980

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating
[ ] +0 no opinion

Richard Downer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating [rc1]

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cedric,

It's dug down somewhere in my memories, I bet somebody like Marvin or
Roman or Ted could quickly pull out their magic hats the authoritative
link. There ore other projects that release in non-asf packages (e.g.
geronimo specs in javax.*) for very good reasons. I don't know what and
how applies to your concrete Groovy situation. While there are
exceptions, my understanding is that it's a pretty strong requirement.

The rationale has something to do, iirc, with the fact that we cannot
release code in packages for which we don't own the domain and would
create confusion and possibly conflicts for downstream users. If I am
wrong, hopefully somebody will correct me.

Cheers,
Hadrian

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
No such requirement actually exists

Jena graduated in April 2012 and because of our backwards compatibility
requirements the package names for existing code have until very recently
remained the same (though new code developed at Apache has used
org.apache.jena where possible)

Now we are finally making a new major release and don't need to provide
backwards compatibility we are finally updating package names to be
org.apache.jena based

Rob

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1

I already voted in the PPMC vote, I am pasting below my findings.

Cheers,
Hadrian

----------
Excellent work on the release Richard.

* tested the binaries on Linux, they work fine, although not my focus;
the ASF releases code as source, so I focused more on the source distro
* downloading, building from source works fine, all tests pass
* started the webui (binary and source distro), it works, looks great
found no issues
* licensing looks ok, although it requires more work which I would
strongly suggest to be fixed for the next release
  i. there should be not license (LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER) in test
directories, I already submitted a PR for that
  ii. LICENSE files should be consolidated into one place (./LICENSE)
and diffs taken care of (e.g. list of jars from
./usage/dist/src/main/license/LICENSE is lost everywhere else)
  iii. Due to the dependency on bouncycastle, I suspect that a statement
re: cryptography [1] may be necessary. I can look into it if that's ok
with you.
* renaming of packages from brooklyn.* to org.apache.brooklyn.* will be
required for graduation, I strongly encourage that step to be taken care
of in the next release.
* the brooklyn-install.sh gave me a ton of grief, I had to tail the log
to figure out what's going on, had to punch in a password a zillion
times; I ended up setting NOPASSWD:ALL in my sudoers to somewhat
alleviate the annoyance.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE][CANCEL] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating [rc1]

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
 > In lieu of the -1 we are cancelling this vote.  A new one will be
initiated shortly.

Sorry meant in *light* of or in *view* of.  (Note to self:  light + view
!= lieu)

--A

On 04/09/2015 17:26, Alex Heneveld wrote:

> In lieu of the -1 we are cancelling this vote.  A new one will be
> initiated shortly.
>
> Best
> Alex

message after it was sent.

[VOTE][CANCEL] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating [rc1]

Re: Fwd: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating [rc1]

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hadrian, thanks!  These comments were addressed in:

     https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/874

Best
Alex

On 02/09/2015 01:43, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
> Below are the (only) comments from the previous release. I don't know
> where to get the respective licenses for the ui stuff, it would be
> good to add them to the ./LICENSE file (and remove the MIT and BSD lics).
>
> Cheers,
> Hadrian
>

> Minor issues:
> - LICENCE is missing standard appendix
> - probably no need for the full text of MIT and BSD as the short
> version is preferred and already used
> - LICENSE is missing:
>     riak (see
> ./software/nosql/src/main/resources/brooklyn/entity/nosql/riak/vm.args
> + others)
>     normalize.css (see
> ./sandbox/mobile-app/src/main/webapp/assets/mobile/libs/mcasimir-mobile-angular-ui-be39011/dist/css/mobile-angular-ui-base.css)
>     mobileangular-ui (see
> ./sandbox/mobile-app/src/main/webapp/assets/mobile/libs/mcasimir-mobile-angular-ui-be39011/dist/js/mobile-angular-ui.js)
>     r.js (see ./usage/jsgui/src/build/requirejs-maven-plugin/r.js)
>     angular (see
> ./sandbox/mobile-app/src/main/webapp/assets/mobile/libs/angular-1.2.19)

message after it was sent.

Fwd: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Brooklyn 0.7.0-incubating [rc1]

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin, Hadrian,

Yes, that's the justification for omitting the copyright header in those
files. From the incubator-general discussion for release
0.7.0-M2-incubating [1]:

    This one has been previously discussed on our lists; our conclusion
    with our mentors was that the archetype is an empty, skeleton, project
    that has no creative content and therefore does not require an Apache
    license header. You can see the discussion here:
    https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-brooklyn-dev/201409.mbox/%3CCAKprHVY8vdcUPHECOCCD3dH0xQWYqi90WLo3K-Oy4qFZ0scf7A%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Thanks for reviewing!

Aled

[1]