Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alan Leung <al...@athabascau.ca> on 2010/01/28 00:29:16 UTC

Importing code between SVN repositories, want to retain set SVN properties

Hi everyone,

We are importing code from a vendor SVN repository into a branch in our
SVN repository.  If necessary we may make changes to this code and merge
with future releases of the vendor code.

During this import, we are trying to retain the SVN properties (e.g.
svn:ignore, svn:keywords, svn:eol-style) in the copy in our SVN
repository.  The svn import command skips .svn directories during import
into our SVN repository (despite setting --no-ignore flag).

Other relevant information:  Using Subversion command-line client,
version 1.6.5 on Ubuntu 9.10.

It seems like a goal that someone else should have encountered before.
Hopefully someone has a standard, proven way of doing this.

Thanks,

Alan.

--
Alan Leung
p: 780-421-3289

__
---

Re: Importing code between SVN repositories, want to retain set SVN properties

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 27, 2010, at 18:29, Alan Leung wrote:

> We are importing code from a vendor SVN repository into a branch in our
> SVN repository.  If necessary we may make changes to this code and merge
> with future releases of the vendor code.
>
> During this import, we are trying to retain the SVN properties (e.g.
> svn:ignore, svn:keywords, svn:eol-style) in the copy in our SVN
> repository.  The svn import command skips .svn directories during import
> into our SVN repository (despite setting --no-ignore flag).

Yes, there's no way to do that with "svn import".

I doubt you have admin access to the vendor repository, but if you do, or can get the admins to help you, you can "svnadmin dump" their repo and "svnadmin load" it into yours. If you don't care to have their whole history, you can just get the HEAD revision.

This only helps for the initial import, however. Not sure how you would obtain future updates from their repository and retain properties.