Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2016/04/23 05:10:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Adding new components to the stack [Was: Adding Apache Arrow to Apache Bigtop project]

Hello.

Following the recent discussion here about what it take to add a new component
to the Bigtop stack I decided to dust-off this old page [1] and update it with
more up-to date expectations.

What has came out of it includes some of the original wording, plus the
essence of a few posts on the original thread, that started this conversation.
For me personally it was a bit tiresome explaining the same points again and
again to new faces asking "How should we go about adding X to Bigtop?". It is
nice to hear, but we can do a better job explaining what we'd expect from new
guys on the block.

The effort is at least two-fold:
 - provide a one-pager information to new-comers who want to join the project
 - help us to better understand what we are are and where we are going

Please feel free to either keep the feedback here (and I will update the page)
or directly contribute to it on our wiki.

Thanks!
  Cos

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Adding+a+new+component+to+Apache+Bigtop+bigdata+stack