Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jonathan Soong <jo...@imvs.sa.gov.au> on 2004/02/26 02:22:11 UTC

Subversion and lots of binaries..

Currently my housemate and I are trying to organise our MP3's

We have SVN on a Server and on the same server we have a Samba share
which we BOTH use as a working copy (this means that on the same Linux
server we have both the repository and a working copy).

I was wondering.. in light of the above statement from Stefan:
1. is it bad to have the working copy on a shared drive? (or is this
relevant only to the TSVN install?)
2. what are the repecussions of us sharing the same working copy?
3. has anyone tried storing 50+gig of binary data (mainly 3-6 meg files)
in an SVN repository?  - i was noticing that uploading 3-4meg files
through TSVN over a slow link (128Kbps) was giving errors - i wasn't
sure if this was a general SVN problem or specific to TSVN (i didn't try
from the command line)...
4. is there anyway to turn OFF atomic commits! - i know this is a
feature, but if you upload 30 mp3's and 28 of them get through and two
don't, you'd like the 28 to commit anyway

Cheers

Jon

Re: Subversion and lots of binaries..

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Jonathan Soong wrote:

>> This is a bit of a silly question, but why do you need version control
>> for mp3's?  Do you expect them to change over time?  Do you have the
>> need to see what your mp3 collection looked like N months ago?  Do you
>> need to rollback changes?
>>
>> I'm trying to understand why you're not just using a big NFS or WebDAV
>> share.
>>

> Mainly because we want a central place where all our friends can access
> the files..

WebDAV would do what you want and I think would suit you better.

--
Martin

Re: Subversion and lots of binaries..

Posted by "Brian. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 08:11, Mark Benedetto King wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:10:01PM +1030, Jonathan Soong wrote:
> >
> > Name changes etc can be handled, and say you have XYZ.mp3 but someone
> > has a better version of it, they can replace it and comment on it.. so
> > we can track who changed what and why..
> >
> > Also, when you are on a new computer or are a new user you can just 'svn
> > checkout /xyz/abc' - so you can get a certain directory down easily...
> >

> Oooh, ooh, you can create shared playlists with "svn cp"!  :-)

Heh.

I hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but remember that your working
copy has a pristine copy of every file in the .svn area.  That means
that if your working copy has 10GB of actual music, it will take up 20GB
of disk space.

-Fitz, raincloud

Re: Subversion and lots of binaries..

Posted by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:10:01PM +1030, Jonathan Soong wrote:

> Name changes etc can be handled, and say you have XYZ.mp3 but someone
> has a better version of it, they can replace it and comment on it.. so
> we can track who changed what and why..
>
> Also, when you are on a new computer or are a new user you can just 'svn
> checkout /xyz/abc' - so you can get a certain directory down easily...

Oooh, ooh, you can create shared playlists with "svn cp"!  :-)

--ben

Re: Subversion and lots of binaries..

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@deneb.enyo.de>.
Mike Mason wrote:

> I'm not sure anyone would want to comment too much on how to share music
> amongst friends. The RIAA is watching, after all...

Sharing with your friends is okay, sharing with the entire Internet is
not.

At least it's this way in the free world. 8-)

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: atlas.cz, bigpond.com, freenet.de, hotmail.com,

Re: Subversion and lots of binaries..

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
Jonathan Soong wrote:

> I'm not sure if SVN IS the best way to go, it just seemed reasonable
> in light of what we wanted to do - i would be open to suggestions on
> different/better ways to do it..

I'm not sure anyone would want to comment too much on how to share music
amongst friends. The RIAA is watching, after all...

> I am considering writing my own diff program so that if just the
> ID2/ID3 tags of the MP3 changed, it woudln't require a complete upload
> of the binary data..

Subversion treats all files as binary anyhow, so if you just change the
tags, it won't retransmit the entire file. It'll also only store the
difference in the central repository, saving space.

Cheers,
Mike.

Re: Subversion and lots of binaries..

Posted by Jonathan Soong <jo...@imvs.sa.gov.au>.
>This is a bit of a silly question, but why do you need version control
>for mp3's?  Do you expect them to change over time?  Do you have the
>need to see what your mp3 collection looked like N months ago?  Do you
>need to rollback changes?
>
>I'm trying to understand why you're not just using a big NFS or WebDAV
>share.

Mainly because we want a central place where all our friends can access
the files..

Have considered big shares, rsync, but CVS/SVN seemed to make the most
sense...

At the end of the day at work i can just 'svn add *', then 'svn update'
so anything i got during the day will be fixed up.
If we had a big NFS share and i downloaded the whole lot to my machine,
uploading new files is more manual and individuals' repositorys are more
likely to get out of sync with the central one...

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 20:22, Jonathan Soong wrote:

> 1. is it bad to have the working copy on a shared drive? (or is this
> relevant only to the TSVN install?)

No, that's fine.  See the FAQ.  Only repositories can't live on a shared
drive.  Working copies are fine.

> 2. what are the repecussions of us sharing the same working copy?

You may run into all sorts of problems;  it's a filed bug that we're
trying to fix.  In theory, it should work.  In practice, there are some
bugs.

> 3. has anyone tried storing 50+gig of binary data (mainly 3-6 meg files)
> in an SVN repository?  - i was noticing that uploading 3-4meg files
> through TSVN over a slow link (128Kbps) was giving errors - i wasn't
> sure if this was a general SVN problem or specific to TSVN (i didn't try
> from the command line)...

What sort of errors?  We need details. There should bbe absolutely no
limit to file size or repository size.  There are some huge repositories
out there.  Slow links shouldn't matter.