Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Asher Tarnopolski <at...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/19 13:55:13 UTC

hashtables, arraylists and ws design

Hello gurus,

I've never coded web services earlier, but now I have to develop
a service for a pretty old and complicated application.

I use AXIS and the problem I am expecting is as follows:

I have to deliver beans that include ArrayLists, Vectors and Hashtables.
While creating new beans for use with WS, AXIS replaces Hashtables with
Hashmaps, ArrayLists with object arrays, and just Vectors are left as they
are. As I already mentioned, the application is large and old and there is
no way I can replace Hashtables and ArrayLists in the existing beans to fit
The AXIS/SOAP requirements.

My first idea was to create a new set of beans that will include Hashmaps
and Vectors instead of Hashtables and ArrayLists to avoid the problems with
AXIS/SOAP complex types mapping, and to build an introspection mechanism in
my WS-handler class that will receive the new type of beans, parse them into
the old types, trigger the existing system logics, introspect the old type
beans received from the application back into the new types of beans and
send a response back to the client.

But then I realized that Hashmaps and Vectors won't solve the problem in
case the client will be written in .NET. Which means I can't even use
Hashmaps and Vectors, but just arrays of objects. In case of Vectors this
also can be solved, but I'm pretty puzzled how can the Hashmaps be
represented in this case.

Anyway, my questions are:
1. Do you think the two bean types plus introspection scenario is the right
one, or there are any other better solutions around?
2. Should I use Vectors and Hashmaps instead of ArrayLists and Hashtables,
or the right way is to go down with simple arrays of objects?
3. If the answer to the second question is positive, how can Hashtables be
represented by arrays of objects?

Thank you for your time!

Re: hashtables, arraylists and ws design

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Using new bean types with introspection is the right way to go.
Convert all collections to arrays.

Anne