Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/04/19 17:52:34 UTC

Post processing in JPA

Hi Jacek,

On Apr 19, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

>> I thought I needed to add the class names to persistence.xml to
>> have them
>> post-processed.
>
> What do you mean by "post-processed". There's no notion of
> "post-processing" in JPA.

Post processing is a common term used to describe anything done to
a .class file after being generated by the compiler. And there
certainly is the notion of post processing class files in JPA.

In a container, the JPA provider is given the chance to post process
entities by an explicit callback. See section 7.1.

Outside the container, JPA providers typically use the java agent
technology to perform post processing on the classes.

Some JPA providers have a static post processor that allows you to
deploy applications without using agents or transformers at runtime.
OpenJPA's processor is the PCEnhancer.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Post processing in JPA

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 4/19/07, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:

> Post processing is a common term used to describe anything done to
> a .class file after being generated by the compiler. And there
> certainly is the notion of post processing class files in JPA.

I stand corrected. Great you spot it and corrected. Thanks for the
info. I think I need to take a look at some of the chapters again.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl