Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Dave <WB...@Comcast.net> on 2005/05/01 13:40:08 UTC

Chainsaw help

I am using the chainsaw v2 web start and log4j 1.2.9. Also using the simple
Socket receiver. All was working fine until recently some update to chainsaw?
No mater what I do I can't receive and display WARN and ERROR. Only DEBUG and
INFO. In my console and file and also the distribution version of chainsaw the
whole range is displayed. I have done the following.

In the receiver window set LEVEL to ALL or LEVEL >= DEBUG

Any help is appreciated because I love this tool when I can get it going.

de

Re: Chainsaw help

Posted by Dave <wb...@comcast.net>.
The following is my config file
File appender and console appender both work fine.
Socket appender doesn't log anything other then DEBUG and INFO ??

Thanks
Dave

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!--
        *  This xml document is used to define ACMS Log4J Configuration
*
 -->
<log4j:configuration>

        <!--
                * This appender simply outputs log messages to the console
*
                *  %d - DateTime
*
                *  %t - Thread
*
                *  %C - Class
*
                *  %m - Message
*
                *  %n - New Line
*
 -->
        <appender name="ERROUT" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
                <param name="Target" value="System.Err" />
                <param name="Threshold" value="WARN" />

                        <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%p -
%m%n%l%C" />
                </layout>
        </appender>

        <appender name="STDOUT" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
                <param name="Target" value="System.Out" />
                <param name="Threshold" value="DEBUG" />

                        <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%p - %m%n" />
                </layout>

                <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LevelRangeFilter">
                        <param name="LevelMin" value="DEBUG" />
                        <param name="LevelMax" value="ERROR" />
                        <param name="AcceptOnMatch" value="true" />
                </filter>
        </appender>

        <appender name="A2" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
                <param name="File" value="c:/test.log" />
                        <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%p - %m%n" />
                </layout>
        </appender>

        <appender name="CHAINSAW_CLIENT"
class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender">
                <param name="RemoteHost" value="localhost" />
                <param name="Port" value="4445" />
            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%p - %m%n" />
                </layout>
        </appender>

        <root>
                <priority value="DEBUG" />
                <appender-ref ref="ERROUT" />
                <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
                <appender-ref ref="CHAINSAW_CLIENT" />
                <appender-ref ref="A2" />
        </root>
</log4j:configuration>

Re: Chainsaw help

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
Could you send us your server-side (the one with the socket appender) &
chainsaw configuration file (or the specifics of how you've set up the
socket receiver)?

cheers,

Paul Smith