Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> on 2016/11/29 19:41:01 UTC

Github tagging, was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Joshua 6.1 RC#2

> Also the 6.1 release has already been tagged and it available for public download on github [4]  before this vote is finished. This is IMO against Apache release policy [3] please remove.
> 3. http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
> 4. https://github.com/apache/incubator-joshua/releases

This interpretation by Github (that tags are public releases) is
happening to Impala without our knowledge or consent. Does this make
it against Apache release policy to tag release candidates?

Re: Github tagging, was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Joshua 6.1 RC#2

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 2:51 PM Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I am not subscribed to that list.
>
> Can you elaborate on the process of moving release votes to a
> different mirror/fork? Our votes, of course, happen on the mailing
> list. The tagging happens in the official git repo. We do not have any
> oficially-recognized-yet-unofficial mirrors, and the idea that we
> would make a github mirror for the sole purpose of tagging commits
> that Github would then consider releases of
> apache-impala-incubating-mirror-only-for-votes seems byzantine.

This was done most recently in a BatchEE vote.  The vote thread is here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fc112978fe7682a95189f9d14567ddef23bd2fc860bbce89903bf5c9@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Its a bit of a mixed bag, some people had concerns, others didn't.  To me
its valid, since its protected the master in case of a bad release needing
to get re-rolled (I personally hate the unnecssary -RC# that projects push
out)

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3010)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Principal Data Scientist, Engineering Administrative Office (3010)
Manager, Open Source Projects Formulation and Development Office (8212)
Office: 180-503E, Mailstop: 180-503
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

On 11/29/16, 3:02 PM, "Tom Barber" <to...@spicule.co.uk> wrote:

    Personally I think thats over doing it a bit on the T&C's, the PPMC hasn't
    created the artifact, I could create a release of any project and slap it
    on github and people could download it, doesn't make it "official" though,
    its just those faux-releases are generated by github themselves not a user.

    On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > > IMHO, the tags on github are not formal releases.
    >
    > The tags may not be but it does creates a release artefact that someone
    > can download.
    >
    > >  So its not a violation of ASF release process.
    >
    > How so? It’s creating an artefact that the general public can access and
    > download before the vote is over. [1] [2] seems quite clear on this.
    >
    > > Some projects have handled this by moving release votes to a different
    > > (mirror/fork) of the project.
    >
    > You can just make the release on a branch rather than in a fork/mirror.
    >
    > Anyway I'll raise it on legal discuss.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Justin
    >
    > 1. https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#unreleased
    > 2. http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

    Tom Barber
    CTO Spicule LTD
    tom@spicule.co.uk

    http://spicule.co.uk

    GB: +44(0)5603641316
    US: +18448141689

Re: Github tagging, was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Joshua 6.1 RC#2

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
The discussion has moved to legal-discuss.  I would encourage everyone to
join the discussion there

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/db78e1f8fc121d8e6b016d2f61d06ccafebf9fd30b4ec00883c78557@%3Clegal-discuss.apache.org%3E

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>.

--
Tom Barber
CTO Spicule LTD

http://spicule.co.uk

GB: +44(0)5603641316
US: +18448141689

Re: Github tagging, was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Joshua 6.1 RC#2

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>.

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Isn't the only official release via www.apache.org/dist
(http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#where-do-releases-go) so the
fact that github does anything with tags is just a side issue?

I think the whole github mirror is just a very handy convenience for
forks/pulls and public visibility. Makes life easier for everyone. If
github want to mark things as 'github' releases then it's a small price
to pay.

Cheers,

Ian

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.