Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Riyafa Abdul Hameed <ri...@cse.mrt.ac.lk> on 2017/06/03 14:27:00 UTC

Re: ASTERIXDB-1371: Support the standard GIS objects

Hi,

So far I have been trying out Esri geometry api[1]. I parsed a csv file to
read data in WKT format, converted it to OGCGeometry objects and calculated
the average areas of the objects. Further I converted this OGCGeometry
objects to WKB format and stored in a file. Then I read back the file and
calculated the average areas of these objects. Thus I have learned the use
of the api.
Also since the project would focus on TDD(Test Driven Development) I have
been focusing on writing AQL queries on calculating the average areas,
Range query, k nearest neighbor and spatial joins using both the current
support of spatial objects and future support of the spatial objects. These
queries are to be used as integrations tests in the future.

[1] https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java

Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Riyafa

--
Riyafa Abdul Hameed
Undergraduate, University of Moratuwa

Email: riyafa.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk
Website: https://riyafa.wordpress.com/ <http://riyafa.wordpress.com/>
<http://facebook.com/riyafa.ahf>  <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/riyafa>
<http://twitter.com/Riyafa1>

Re: ASTERIXDB-1371: Support the standard GIS objects

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Cool!  (BTW, the preferred AsterixDB QL is SQL++ nowadays - AQL is being
deprecated - the same functionality is available in both QL's in terms
of the spatial stuff.)