Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ramakrishna s vasudevan <ra...@huawei.com> on 2012/02/05 07:41:26 UTC

ANN: 0.90.6 RC3 available for download

Hi Devs

0.90.6RC3 is available for download.

http://people.apache.org/~ramkrishna/0.90.6RC3/

The new RC had to be taken due to the problem found in RC2. (HBASE-5321)
Internally we, in Huawei had carried out good testing with RC2+HBASE-5321.
Also for RC2 we got few +1s.  This new RC is just with an added fix and does not affect major stability of 0.90.6.

I would like to close the voting on Feb 8th.  Because not much difference between RC2 and RC3.  Also the sooner we release 0.90.6 we can go ahead with the commits to 0.90 branch.  Please vote for the new RC.

Thanks for all your support.

Regards
Ram

P.S.
New fix added in RC3.
HBASE-5321  this.allRegionServersOffline not set to false after one RS comes online and
               assignment is done in 0.90.
Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Hey guys,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> wrote:

This one needs a review:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5363 (takes 0.92 and trunk as
> well)

These have been committed:

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: ANN: 0.90.6 RC3 available for download

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I agree with what Stack said.

I think HBASE-5200 should be included in the next RC.

Cheers

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan
<ra...@huawei.com> wrote:
> Sure Stack. I will do it.  Also let me see if any issues could go into the
> next RC.
> I probably think we have another one or two in store.

I committed hbase-5363 to 0.90 Ram so you should be good to go w/ a new RC.
Thanks boss,
St.Ack

Re: ANN: 0.90.6 RC3 available for download

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Ram,

Thanks for doing this.  For some projects I've been involved with in the
incubator, the license stuff is something a lot of apache veterans care
about strongly.

Jon.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Ram:

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Sounds good.  I'll mark them 0.90.7 when I commit, but someone else will
have to change to 0.90.6 if an rc4 is needed.

Jon.

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Ram,

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Ram,

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I was reading into what goes into a release, and based on this I think of
> have to -1 the release from an admin point of view.
> - mvn rat:check looks like it has problems (there are also some in the
> 0.92.0 release) -- attached to this email.

I went through a few.  Looks like its complaining mostly because of
empty files, files it can't read the apache license in (because its
got xml preamble), etc.  I'd say this is important but my guess is
that 0.90.5 wasn't much better.  I'd suggest we could file an issue to
fix this in 0.90.7/0.92.1 but that maybe its not enough to sink the
release?

> - Ram, I think if I understand the signing stuff properly, your gpg
> signature needs to be verifed/signed by someone else in the "web of trust".
>  (following these
> instructions: http://httpd.apache.org/dev/verification.html )

Good one.

I like Todd's suggestion.  I was going to give it a spin in next day
or so.  I could add my signature on the end?

St.Ack
P.S. Ram, here is a reason for why you need to come to SF for hbasecon
so we can meet you face to face and sign your key.

Re: ANN: 0.90.6 RC3 available for download

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan
<ra...@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon
>
> I have published my key in pub 4096R/867B57B8 in the MIT PGP public key
> server.
>
> Hope this is what you meant of publishing the key?

You've done the first part Ram.

See http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing#web-of-trust
See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signing_party

St.Ack

RE: ANN: 0.90.6 RC3 available for download

> - Ram, I think if I understand the signing stuff properly, your gpg
> signature needs to be verifed/signed by someone else in the "web of
trust".

Regarding signatures: if another committer reviews the release and is
willing to stand by it, that committer can sign the artifact in lieu
of Ram. So, if you vote +1 on the next release, Jon, you can sign it,
and I can sign your key at the office to get you into the apache "web
of trust".

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Good news, I'm +1 from a functionality point of view.  Bad news I think I
have to -1 from an administrative point of view.  I'm kind of new to this,
so folks please correct me if I shouldn't be concerned.

Looks good to me from a functional point of view:
+ Setup on a 5 node cluster on top of CDH3u3 HDFS
++ Ran Apache Bigtop 0.3.0-SNAPSHOT's TestLoadAndVerify overnight in a loop
++ Did some manual kill tests of masters, as well as root, meta and random
RS.
+ Diffed the 'ls -R' of 0.90.5 and 0.90.6 and diffs looked sane based on
patches.
+ md5sums look good.

I was reading into what goes into a release, and based on this I think of
have to -1 the release from an admin point of view.
- mvn rat:check looks like it has problems (there are also some in the
0.92.0 release) -- attached to this email.
- Ram, I think if I understand the signing stuff properly, your gpg
signature needs to be verifed/signed by someone else in the "web of trust".
 (following these instructions:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/verification.html )

----
[jon@c0309 dist]$ gpg --verify hbase-0.90.6.tar.gz.asc
hbase-0.90.6.rc3.tar.gz
gpg: Signature made Sat 04 Feb 2012 09:24:17 PM PST using RSA key ID
867B57B8
gpg: Good signature from "Ramkrishna S Vasudevan (for code checkin) <
ram_krish_86@hotmail.com>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 7405 BB74 016B E7D0 7B25  15E3 A1AB D56E 867B 57B8
[jon@c0309 dist]$ gpg --fingerprint 867B57B8
pub   4096R/867B57B8 2012-01-14
      Key fingerprint = 7405 BB74 016B E7D0 7B25  15E3 A1AB D56E 867B 57B8
uid                  Ramkrishna S Vasudevan (for code checkin) <
ram_krish_86@hotmail.com>
sub   4096R/AE508DE2 2012-01-14
----

Jon.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Ramakrishna s vasudevan <