Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by TO...@LILLY.COM on 2002/08/15 01:01:27 UTC

Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

Hi

Does Tomcat support EJB?.....
if not, is there a project to migrate tomcat to support EJB?... it will be
a very nice feature...

Alex

Re: Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

Posted by Ned Wolpert <wo...@codeheadsystems.com>.
> However if you find EJB's slow and not scalable, than you would
> implement DAO another way. But since you would pull out Enity beans out,
>  than there is not much reason to keep Session beans. You could just put
>  regular form bean or java bean in session in some cases and get rid of
> EJB server and just use TomCat or Resin. (most app. servers have other
> ways to fail over). If you have reson to use session EJBs that use them,
>  but I can think of no reason anyone would want to uses Enity EJB.

Well, this isn't the best forum for this, but Entity beans have a purpose,
just the vendor's over-hype of having people use them everywhere. The
strongest reason to use EJB entity beans is the deployment configuration
that you can set, and change (in certain cases) with a running ejb cluster.
I can't speak for DAO in this way, but for TopLink and Castor, that is
not really possible. (Currently. I'm working on Castor :-) Not to mention,
container managed persistance takes much away from the developer, and gives
it to the admin; which can be bad, no doubt.

Eh, really it boils down to architecture.  Each architecture has a their
limitations. DAO sounds nice, but like EJB, its 'yet-another-layer';
abstraction to provide for flexibility. It may be good (again, I never
used it) but its still a layer.  If you don't need that flexibility, then
its a cost/liability.

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <wo...@codeheadsystems.com>                     4e75

Re: Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <ba...@newsguy.com>.
Ned Wolpert wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but its still only the persistance side, right?
> Or would use use it to replace session beans?  I can see it replacing
> Entity beans, and the DAO layer uses entity beans; then your session
> beans would talk to the DAO layer which did all (only?) persistance.

Any bean that needs persistance should talk trough DAO. (and dao could
be done using Enity beans, or rowset, etc.).
In your case, if you use session beans than right.

> So, it doesn't replace all of EJB, just EJB's entity beans, right?

However if you find EJB's slow and not scalable, than you would
implement DAO another way. But since you would pull out Enity beans out,
than there is not much reason to keep Session beans. You could just put
regular form bean or java bean in session in some cases and get rid of
EJB server and just use TomCat or Resin. (most app. servers have other
ways to fail over). If you have reson to use session EJBs that use them,
but I can think of no reason anyone would want to uses Enity EJB.

Back to original post.... Implement DAO interface to persisit (even when
using EJB, so you can replace).

v.

Posted by Ned Wolpert <wo...@codeheadsystems.com>.

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <ba...@newsguy.com>.
Very good Jacob!!!!

RowSet is an interface (that extends Resulset).
And suns RowSet implementation does not have source code.

That is why I had Keve and a few other people write an open source
implementation of RowSet. That's right. Open Source RowSet.
It fixes all the bugs and.... did I say you get the source code?
I have 3 clients, one with 40,000 concurrent users using DAO/w RowSet
implementation w/Struts. (EJB can't scale I found beyond very small)

Open Source Row Set implementation:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/basicportal/src_05d/basicPortal/src/org/sourceforge/jxutil/sql/XDisconnectedRowSet.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

DAO implementation:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/basicportal/src_05d/basicPortal/src/org/apache/commons/DAO/BasicDAOrsImpl.java?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

hth,
V.

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

---

Re: Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <ba...@newsguy.com>.
No....

Posted by Ned Wolpert <wo...@codeheadsystems.com>.

Posted by "V. Cekvenich" <ba...@newsguy.com>.

Posted by Ned Wolpert <wo...@codeheadsystems.com>.

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> Don't suppose anybody can send me a pointer as to what EJB and Jboss
> actually achieve? All i managed to glean from their website were some pretty
> 3d variations on the usual "our product in the middle and some arrows"
> diagrams.

My knowledge of EJB is informational. EJB as are JEE components, managed by EJB Servers, like JBoss. EJB main function is to introduce persistance and business logic, in general, (can we say that persistance IS a part of business logic? :-)) into the world of JEE applications.

Tomcat, from that view, is just one of the portals of a JEE application. So, the chain of modules would be:

Web Server (Apache)
  +
Servlet/JSP container (Tomcat)
  +
EJB container (JBoss - EJBs, transactions, messages)
  +
Persistant storage + other data portals (DBs, legacy APIs and other means information exchange)

Nix.

Re: Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.