Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/27 18:07:03 UTC

Broken links at contributing.html

Hi!

In the last point on the the page ("Become a committer...") there are two
links to the site onlamp.com. These redirect to www.oreilly.com/radar.

Using archive.org I've found what I believe are the original targets, two
articles [1] [2] by Brian W. Fitzpatrick.

Should we link to archive.org or should we get Brian's permission to put
the articles on our own site?

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20050803084234/http://onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/07/14/osdevelopers.html
[2]
https://web.archive.org/web/20051214172122/http://onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/08/01/opensourcedevelopers.html

Re: Broken links at contributing.html

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den mån 28 dec. 2020 kl 09:27 skrev Daniel Sahlberg <
daniel.l.sahlberg@gmail.com>:

> the breakage for now, and ask Brian for permission to ensure the
>>
> longevity of the articles.
>>

> I've sent him a PM.

I've received a reply from Fitz with two main points:
* Not sure about the copyright status, ie we might have to get O Reilly's
permission for a reprint.
* Fitz believe that the world has changed since the articles were published
and they don't reflect his current beliefs. If republishing, he would like
to add this as a disclaimer on the articles.

For this reason I suggest we remove the links (ie terminating the sentence
after "...to you personally."). I will wait a few days to see if there are
any other opinions, otherwise I'll commit this in the beginning of next
week.

Kind regards
Daniel

Re: Broken links at contributing.html

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Den mån 28 dec. 2020 kl 04:18 skrev Nathan Hartman <hartman.nathan@gmail.com
>:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 1:07 PM Daniel Sahlberg
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the last point on the the page ("Become a committer...") there are
> two links to the site onlamp.com. These redirect to www.oreilly.com/radar.
> >
> > Using archive.org I've found what I believe are the original targets,
> two articles [1] [2] by Brian W. Fitzpatrick.
> >
> > Should we link to archive.org or should we get Brian's permission to
> put the articles on our own site?
>
> I think both: temporarily point the links to archive.org to workaround

r1884854

> the breakage for now, and ask Brian for permission to ensure the
> longevity of the articles.

I've sent him a PM.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: Broken links at contributing.html

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the last point on the the page ("Become a committer...") there are two links to the site onlamp.com. These redirect to www.oreilly.com/radar.
>
> Using archive.org I've found what I believe are the original targets, two articles [1] [2] by Brian W. Fitzpatrick.
>
> Should we link to archive.org or should we get Brian's permission to put the articles on our own site?

I think both: temporarily point the links to archive.org to workaround
the breakage for now, and ask Brian for permission to ensure the
longevity of the articles.

Nathan