Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Michael Smith <mi...@smith-li.com> on 2020/04/30 12:20:30 UTC

When and how should we remove lang/py3?

 Previous emails on this list have discussed the "why" questions. But when
and how should we go about it? Could 1.10 be the last avro release to
include avro-python3? This would allow us to play a little less ticket
tennis with folks reporting bugs (can you reproduce this in "the other"
python library?) and focus all our effort into one python implementation.

What do you think?

Re: When and how should we remove lang/py3?

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <mi...@smith-li.com>.
Bringing this back up: I think avro and avro-python3 are mostly compatible,
so we really just need to invent a way to make people switch automatically.
We could almost have py3 install avro as a dependency. The thing is, both
packages are under the root namespace `avro`, so you can't trivially have
them both installed. Maybe we can publish both packages from the same
codebase, but have the py3 one give a deprecation warning.

WDYT?

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Hi Mchael,