Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca> on 2006/11/24 00:50:18 UTC

razor-agent.log being placed in root directory

I noticed today that razor-agent.log is placed in the root directory.  I
have --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir set as a spamd
option, but the log is not being written to there.  How can I fix this
problem?

Thanks.

--
Chris

Re: razor-agent.log being placed in root directory - solved

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Gary V wrote:

>>> This may be an indication there is no razor-agent.conf. Assuming root
>>> owns the log file, as root, run 'razor-admin -create' twice in a row.
>>> The log should move to the /root/.razor directory (the home directory
>>> of whatever user runs the command). To prevent logging for user
>>> 'root', edit /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf and change debuglevel to
>>> 0. To control logging on a site wide basis, you could copy
>>> /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf to /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf. If
>>> other users use razor, you should run 'razor-admin -create' twice as
>>> those users too. If you report spam to the razor servers, then you
>>> also need to run 'razor-admin register'.
>>>

>> Thanks, everyone for your suggestions, but it still doesn't make
>> sense.  My setup is that spamd is run by root, and spamc is called by
>> the user to whom mail is being delivered.  For this reason I don't
>> want .razor directories created for every user.
>>
>> From 'man spamd':
>>
>> -H directory, --helper-home-dir=directory
>>     Specify that external programs such as Razor, DCC, and Pyzor should
>>     have a HOME environment variable set to a specific directory.  The
>>     default is to use the HOME environment variable setting from the
>>     shell running spamd.  By specifying no argument, spamd will use the
>>     spamc caller's home directory instead.
>>
>> Setting this should set the razor home directory when using spamc.  My
>> spamd options are:
>>
>> --max-children=3 --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir
>> -s /var/log/spamassassin/spamd.log -x -Q
>>
>> This setup works for pyzor, because if I remove all the files from
>> helper-home-dir and restart spamd, a .pyzor directory will be created.
>> It seems to me that spamd is not properly setting the razor home
>> environment.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>>

> The problem:
>
> Razor-Log: Computed razorhome from env:
> /etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/.razor
> Razor-Log: No razorhome found, using all defaults
>
> After creating the /root/.razor files, copy the .razor directory to the
> helper home.
> cp -r /root/.razor/ /etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/

Okay, this is what finally fixed it.  I didn't actually copy the
directory, but instead created an empty .razor directory.  When I
restarted spamd, it created

razor-agent.log
server.c101.cloudmark.com.conf
servers.catalogue.lst
servers.discovery.lst
servers.nomination.lst

in that directory.  I thought that razor would create the .razor
directory itself, but it wouldn't do that.  I actually ran 'razor-admin
-create -home=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir' earlier, but without
the .razor as you suggested in your other mail.  Thanks again for the help.

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Gary V wrote:

>>> This may be an indication there is no razor-agent.conf. Assuming root
>>> owns the log file, as root, run 'razor-admin -create' twice in a row.
>>> The log should move to the /root/.razor directory (the home directory
>>> of whatever user runs the command). To prevent logging for user
>>> 'root', edit /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf and change debuglevel to
>>> 0. To control logging on a site wide basis, you could copy
>>> /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf to /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf. If
>>> other users use razor, you should run 'razor-admin -create' twice as
>>> those users too. If you report spam to the razor servers, then you
>>> also need to run 'razor-admin register'.
>>>

>> Thanks, everyone for your suggestions, but it still doesn't make
>> sense.  My setup is that spamd is run by root, and spamc is called by
>> the user to whom mail is being delivered.  For this reason I don't
>> want .razor directories created for every user.
>>
>> From 'man spamd':
>>
>> -H directory, --helper-home-dir=directory
>>     Specify that external programs such as Razor, DCC, and Pyzor should
>>     have a HOME environment variable set to a specific directory.  The
>>     default is to use the HOME environment variable setting from the
>>     shell running spamd.  By specifying no argument, spamd will use the
>>     spamc caller's home directory instead.
>>
>> Setting this should set the razor home directory when using spamc.  My
>> spamd options are:
>>
>> --max-children=3 --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir
>> -s /var/log/spamassassin/spamd.log -x -Q
>>
>> This setup works for pyzor, because if I remove all the files from
>> helper-home-dir and restart spamd, a .pyzor directory will be created.
>> It seems to me that spamd is not properly setting the razor home
>> environment.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>>

> The problem:
>
> Razor-Log: Computed razorhome from env:
> /etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/.razor
> Razor-Log: No razorhome found, using all defaults

Hi Gary, I appreciate the help.  I increased the debuglevel from 3 to 10
in /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf, then reading from /razor-agent.log I see:

Nov 24 14:28:52.764664 check[6495]: [ 5] computed razorhome=,
conf=/etc/razor/razor-agent.conf, ident=identity

So, it looks to me that spamd is not passing the home environment
variable to razor.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>After creating the /root/.razor files, copy the .razor directory to the
>helper home.
>cp -r /root/.razor/ /etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/

Note that this is functionally equivilent to:

razor-admin -create -home=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/.razor

Gary V

Microsoft Office Live

Re: razor-agent.log being placed in root directory

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>Gary V wrote:
>>>I noticed today that razor-agent.log is placed in the root directory.  I
>>>have --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir set as a spamd
>>>option, but the log is not being written to there.  How can I fix this
>>>problem?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Chris
>>
>>This may be an indication there is no razor-agent.conf. Assuming root owns
>>the log file, as root, run 'razor-admin -create' twice in a row. The log
>>should move to the /root/.razor directory (the home directory of whatever
>>user runs the command). To prevent logging for user 'root', edit
>>/root/.razor/razor-agent.conf and change debuglevel to 0. To control
>>logging on a site wide basis, you could copy /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf
>>to /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf. If other users use razor, you should run
>>'razor-admin -create' twice as those users too. If you report spam to the
>>razor servers, then you also need to run 'razor-admin register'.
>>

>Thanks, everyone for your suggestions, but it still doesn't make sense.  My
>setup is that spamd is run by root, and spamc is called by the user to whom
>mail is being delivered.  For this reason I don't want .razor directories
>created for every user.
>
>>From 'man spamd':
>
>-H directory, --helper-home-dir=directory
>     Specify that external programs such as Razor, DCC, and Pyzor should
>     have a HOME environment variable set to a specific directory.  The
>     default is to use the HOME environment variable setting from the
>     shell running spamd.  By specifying no argument, spamd will use the
>     spamc caller's home directory instead.
>
>Setting this should set the razor home directory when using spamc.  My
>spamd options are:
>
>--max-children=3 --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir -s
>/var/log/spamassassin/spamd.log -x -Q
>
>This setup works for pyzor, because if I remove all the files from
>helper-home-dir and restart spamd, a .pyzor directory will be created. It
>seems to me that spamd is not properly setting the razor home environment.
>
>--
>Chris

The problem:

Razor-Log: Computed razorhome from env:
/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/.razor
Razor-Log: No razorhome found, using all defaults

After creating the /root/.razor files, copy the .razor directory to the
helper home.
cp -r /root/.razor/ /etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir/

This will at least give some readable files. I can't advise you on security
issues, so I'll let you determine if the directory and files should be
writable.

You can place razor-agent.conf there also (provided you delete
/etc/razor/razor-agent.conf), or you can use /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf
instead.

You can debug razor by starting up spamd in non-daemon mode and use the '-D
razor2' argument. Then use spamc from another terminal session. I only tried
it with one normal user, you should probably try it with several.

Gary V

age, and price. Try it!

Re: razor-agent.log being placed in root directory

Posted by Chris Purves <ch...@northfolk.ca>.
Gary V wrote:
>> I noticed today that razor-agent.log is placed in the root directory.
>> I have --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir set as a
>> spamd option, but the log is not being written to there.  How can I
>> fix this problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>
> This may be an indication there is no razor-agent.conf. Assuming root
> owns the log file, as root, run 'razor-admin -create' twice in a row.
> The log should move to the /root/.razor directory (the home directory of
> whatever user runs the command). To prevent logging for user 'root',
> edit /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf and change debuglevel to 0. To
> control logging on a site wide basis, you could copy
> /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf to /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf. If other
> users use razor, you should run 'razor-admin -create' twice as those
> users too. If you report spam to the razor servers, then you also need
> to run 'razor-admin register'.

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions, but it still doesn't make sense.
  My setup is that spamd is run by root, and spamc is called by the user
to whom mail is being delivered.  For this reason I don't want .razor
directories created for every user.

 From 'man spamd':

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.
>I noticed today that razor-agent.log is placed in the root directory.  I
>have --helper-home-dir=/etc/spamassassin/helper-home-dir set as a spamd
>option, but the log is not being written to there.  How can I fix this
>problem?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Chris

This may be an indication there is no razor-agent.conf. Assuming root owns
the log file, as root, run 'razor-admin -create' twice in a row. The log
should move to the /root/.razor directory (the home directory of whatever
user runs the command). To prevent logging for user 'root', edit
/root/.razor/razor-agent.conf and change debuglevel to 0. To control logging
on a site wide basis, you could copy /root/.razor/razor-agent.conf to
/etc/razor/razor-agent.conf. If other users use razor, you should run
'razor-admin -create' twice as those users too. If you report spam to the
razor servers, then you also need to run 'razor-admin register'.

Gary V

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001

RE: razor-agent.log being placed in root directory

Posted by Sietse van Zanen <si...@wizdom.nu>.
I beleive razor log files and config go into the homedir of the user running spamassassin.

For me, Í run SA as user spamassassin and that user's homedir is /var/lib/spamassassin.
There is a .razor dir there, wheere all the files are.

-Sietse