Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by KW <kw...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/26 00:27:24 UTC

cancel

How do I stop receiving endless emails of users problems?

K.Woolnough

--
He who loses money loses much;
He who loses a friend loses more;

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing [Socrates]

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 01:55 27/08/2014 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>so according to this, people don't understand the idea of a
>"subscription" or "mailing list." alright. in addition, in their
>irritation, they fail to notice the instructions for cancelling.

If they don't understand the idea of a mailing list, surely it is
self-evident that they will not realise they have joined anything and
will have no way of understanding the concept of cancellation?

Brian Barker

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 27/08/2014 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> Another thing is that the instructions are not clear enough: To
> unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org
> Would a lenghtier explanation of the process be needed. We could
> record a youtube video explaining how to de-subscribe and insert the
> link on these message this way users wil have at least more
> documentation on the unsubscription process. We do talk about it more
> at lenght at the mailing list pages:
> Maybe a link to such page is required.

We can customize the footer up to 4 lines of at most 72 characters each.
So just provide a suggestion and we can discuss it. Since we don't
control external resources, any links in the footer must go an
Apache-controlled site (so if you want to embed a YouTube video you do
it on the page, but you don't link to it in the footer).

> I woudl also add further
> instruction on the page as to interact with the mailing list bot, so
> the user can know his subscription information.

Simply submit a patch for discussion, or commit it yourself if you
believe it's uncontroversial.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On Aug 27, 2014, at 4:29, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:

> Would a lenghtier explanation of the process be needed. We could
> record a youtube video explaining how to de-subscribe and insert the
> link on these message this way users wil have at least more
> documentation on the unsubscription process. We do talk about it more
> at lenght at the mailing list pages:
>
> Maybe a link to such page is required. I woudl also add further
> instruction on the page as to interact with the mailing list bot, so
> the user can know his subscription information.

Good idea.  I assume this would be in the message that the subscriber gets to confirm the subscription.

-- -- --
jt   http://jt-mj.net

The Analytical Engine has no pretentions whatever to originate anything. It can do whatever we know how to order it to perform.  -Ada Lovelace (1842)

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM, jonathon <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On August 27, 2014 10:27:00 AM PDT, TN Patriot wrote:
>
> >If that's not clear enough, perhaps going back to school to learn reading
> comprehension all over.
>
> The reading/comprehension skills of an individual with a fifth grade
> education in the United States in 1914 are on a par with a PhD candidate in
> the United States in 2014.

​Remember this is not a US based community people from all over the world
join the list and their reading comprenhension would be much better than
yours in their language.

That said, my point is a bit beyond actually reading and understanding but
simply escaping their eyes. A video is a bit harder to ignore. Sure they
can always skip, but they will certainly be aware of it.

Having a video on the website next to the subscription would help us making
people aware of what they are. ​

> jonathon
>
> --
> Your documents. Your language. Your way.

Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 12:27 27/08/2014 -0500, T N Patriot wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 03:29:47 -0500 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>Another thing is that the instructions are not clear enough: To
>>unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org
>
>If that's not clear enough, perhaps going back to school to learn
>reading comprehension all over.

Let's be fair! If during a conversation I asked you to e-mail your
date of birth, you wouldn't put the words "your date of birth" into
the To: field of a message, would you? Instead you'd put the
information described into the body of a message addressed to me. If
subscribers are asked to "e-mail:
they are being asked to send that text somewhere. But where? Well, to
the list, presumably!

Those that work out they are instead being asked to send something to
that address will wonder what to send. If they have no idea of
mailing list, they may well never have met the idea of sending a
blank message to anyone: it will seem as foreign as sending an empty
envelope through the post or making a silent telephone call.

Brian Barker

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Julian Thomas wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2014, at 13:27, TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  If that's not clear enough, perhaps going back to school to learn reading
>>  comprehension all over.
>
> Before we get too harsh, we need to remember that we were all there
> in the past; we should be able to walk a mile in their shoes before
> passing judgement.

actually though the sentiment is generous, I don't think it's true.

but the people failing the 'unsubscribe test' are not necessarily
'illiterate' - likely they are otherwise competent folks.

but they do seem 'computer-shy': computers make them panic or get
upset and holler.

I wager most writing to this thread never were quite this scared of
computers.

I still don't quite understand how they wandered into subscribing in
the first place though. I'll force-content myself with Andrea's
explanation.

btw I sent myself an email and my signature does _not_ show up in
gmail (using firefox). so some mail clients do obscure the signature.

however, the signature for the list is not in proper signature anyway
so it does show.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

The greatest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer.  --
Colton

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On Aug 27, 2014, at 13:27, TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If that's not clear enough, perhaps going back to school to learn reading
>  comprehension all over.

Before we get too harsh, we need to remember that we were all there in the past; we should be able to walk a mile in their shoes before passing judgement.

-- -- --
jt   http://jt-mj.net

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.  -Request for Comments: 1925 IOOF

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
Also the problem is that mail clients treat the instructions like a
signature, so it hides them. I bet this wouldnt happened if the
instructions were at the top, which agreed, would be pretty irritating
to most users.

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 13:20 28/08/2014 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 01:55 27/08/2014 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>>>so according to this, people don't understand the idea of a
>>>"subscription" or "mailing list." alright. in addition, in their
>>>irritation, they fail to notice the instructions for cancelling.
>>
>>If they don't understand the idea of a mailing list, surely it is
>>self-evident that they will not realise they have joined anything
>>and will have no way of understanding the concept of cancellation?
>
>sorry, the elision made my point unclear; by "in addition" I meant
>"and -- assuming they understand the concept of 'subscription' --
>another explanation is...."

Aha! Thanks. Understood. My apologies.

Brian Barker

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 01:55 27/08/2014 -0400, Felmon Davis wrote:
>> so according to this, people don't understand the idea of a "subscription"
>> or "mailing list." alright. in addition, in their irritation, they fail to
>> notice the instructions for cancelling.
>
> If they don't understand the idea of a mailing list, surely it is
> self-evident that they will not realise they have joined anything and will
> have no way of understanding the concept of cancellation?

sorry, the ellision made my point unclear; by "in addition" I meant
"and -- assuming they understand the concept of 'subscription' --
another explanation is...."

F.

--
Felmon Davis

The world is in danger from two sources:  Order and Disorder.
    -- Valery

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 26/08/2014 Felmon Davis wrote:
>> why are so many people "finding themselves" subscribed to this list? is
>> there a subscription link on some webpage they accidentally click?
>
> All subscriptions require opt-in (you send a request, receive a confirmation
> request and reply to it). So far, we tried different explanations but in the
> end the most plausible explanation, backed by what moderators see when
> helping people unsubscribe, is simply that some users are not very familiar
> with mailing lists of with the expected traffic (and often this is the only
> mailing list they subscribe to).
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

so according to this, people don't understand the idea of a
"subscription" or "mailing list." alright. in addition, in their
irritation, they fail to notice the instructions for cancelling.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

I have seen the evidence...  I want DIFFERENT evidence.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felmon Davis <da...@union.edu>.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> You can cancel your subscriptions emailing AND CONFIRMING to
> users-unsubscribe@openoffice.apache.org

why are so many people "finding themselves" subscribed to this list?
is there a subscription link on some webpage they accidentally click?

F.

--
Felmon Davis

If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.

Re: cancel

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.