Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Timothy Wulf <ti...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/06 04:43:15 UTC

Folks seeking help

<rant>

I came to this list a long time ago and have seen a great number of people
simply berated for seeking help with what to them is a serious problem. If
a user has made their way to this list they are already frustrated, most
likely confused and probably angry they haven't found an "official" support
system in place for the product they are using. They have no clue what a
"bug report" is, they have no true understanding of what "community
supported software" is all about. They have no clue you are volunteering
your time and efforts. All they want is help solving their immediate issue.

Folks responding with "just open your backup" is no help at all and will
only push the user to drop OO altogether. To some of you I'm sure that's
fine, you are seasoned users, maybe even experts and you would gladly not
have to bother with the noob, but that's not what this list is about. It's
about support. Supporting the users of Open Office no matter their level of
experience. If you don't want to help -- PLEASE don't. Just go on your
merry way and let those that are willing take on the task at hand.

Please be polite and offer constructive suggestions and recommendations.
Hold their hand and walk them through step by step if you need to, but
please don't brush 'em off. Yes, it's a lot of work but in the end you will
have an educated user that may be able and willing to help others down the
line.

</rant>

-- Just my two cents.
-- Timothy Wulf
-- An Open Office user

Re: Folks seeking help

Posted by Scooter <sc...@scootersdesk.com>.
Good Morning Group,

I'm one of the long time "Silent Majority" groupies on this forum or
listserv.
At this point in time, I am surprised at how well AOO 4.1 works in spite
of my overall system Win7x64 bit, which doesn't work because I messed it
up.
I feel for those who have been unable to untangle there own mess.

Teachers do forget how they got there.  Is it really so difficult to
remember the steps of how to do something, without getting snotty about
it? We depend on others who've "been there, done that", some of us
haven't. Be gentle, and courteous. It does wonders for the soul.

Take Care,
Scooter

RE: Folks seeking help

Re: Folks seeking help

Posted by 許哲崇 <fi...@gmail.com>.
We are all innocent. Sometimes a constructive help is not closely related
to OO itself.

Re: Folks seeking help

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 1/5/2014 9:43 PM, Timothy Wulf wrote:
> <rant>
>
> I came to this list a long time ago and have seen a great number of people
> simply berated for seeking help with what to them is a serious problem. If
> a user has made their way to this list they are already frustrated, most
> likely confused and probably angry they haven't found an "official" support
> system in place for the product they are using. They have no clue what a
> "bug report" is, they have no true understanding of what "community
> supported software" is all about. They have no clue you are volunteering
> your time and efforts. All they want is help solving their immediate issue.
>
> Folks responding with "just open your backup" is no help at all and will
> only push the user to drop OO altogether. To some of you I'm sure that's
> fine, you are seasoned users, maybe even experts and you would gladly not
> have to bother with the noob, but that's not what this list is about. It's
> about support. Supporting the users of Open Office no matter their level of
> experience. If you don't want to help -- PLEASE don't. Just go on your
> merry way and let those that are willing take on the task at hand.
>
> Please be polite and offer constructive suggestions and recommendations.
> Hold their hand and walk them through step by step if you need to, but
> please don't brush 'em off. Yes, it's a lot of work but in the end you will
> have an educated user that may be able and willing to help others down the
> line.
>
> </rant>
>
> -- Just my two cents.
> -- Timothy Wulf