Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org> on 2018/08/20 13:47:27 UTC

Status of IntelliJ with Gradle

Hi Beamers,

It's great to see the Beam build system overhauled. Thank you for all
the hard work.

That said, I've just started contributing to Beam again and I feel
really stupid for not having a fully-functional IDE. I've closely
followed the IntelliJ/Gradle instructions [1]. In the terminal
everything works fine.

First of all, I get warnings like the following and the build fails:

====
.../beam/sdks/java/core/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/package-info.java:29:
warning: [deprecation] NonNull in edu.umd.cs.findbugs.annotations has
been deprecated
@DefaultAnnotation(NonNull.class)
                   ^
error: warnings found and -Werror specified
1 error
89 warnings
=====

Somehow the "-Xlint:-deprecation" compiler flag does not get through but
"-Werror" does. I can get it to compile by removing the "-Werror" flag
from BeamModulePlugin but that's obviously not the solution.

Further, once the build succeeds I still have to add the relocated
Protobuf library manually because the one in "vendor" does not get
picked up. I've tried clearing caches / re-adding the project /
upgrading IntelliJ / changing Gradle configs.

Is this just me or do you also have similar problems? If so, I would
like to compile a list of possible fixes to help other contributors.

Thanks,
Max

Tested with
- IntelliJ 2018.1.6 and 2018.2.1.