Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/08/30 06:18:07 UTC

Hive 0.12 release

It has been more than 3 months since 0.11 was released and we already have
294 jiras in resolved-fixed state for 0.12. This includes several new
features such as date data type, optimizer improvements, ORC format
improvements and many bug fixes. There are also many features look ready to
get committed soon such as the varchar type.
I think it is time to start preparing for a 0.12 release by creating a
branch later next week and start stabilizing it. What do people think about
it ?

As we get closer to the branching, we can start discussing any additional
features/bug fixes that we should add to the release and start monitoring
their progress.

Thanks,
Thejas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jason,
I assume the 0.12 branch creation does not have to wait for this, and you
just want it to be included in the release.
Thanks,
Thejas

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Jason Dere <jd...@hortonworks.com>.
Would like to see HIVE-4844 make it in if possible.

Thanks,
Jason

On Aug 29, 2013, at 10:31 PM, Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I think we should make sure that several items under HIVE-4869 get checked
> in before branching.
>
> Eugene
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> It has been more than 3 months since 0.11 was released and we already have
>> 294 jiras in resolved-fixed state for 0.12. This includes several new
>> features such as date data type, optimizer improvements, ORC format
>> improvements and many bug fixes. There are also many features look ready to
>> get committed soon such as the varchar type.
>> I think it is time to start preparing for a 0.12 release by creating a
>> branch later next week and start stabilizing it. What do people think about
>> it ?
>>
>> As we get closer to the branching, we can start discussing any additional
>> features/bug fixes that we should add to the release and start monitoring
>> their progress.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thejas
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
I think a small waiting period (around 2 weeks) after branch is cut is
good, so that we reduce the volume of changes and there is time to
pull in any important bug fixes that are found.
Yes, I think it is time to review the blockers and any jiras that
should be marked as blockers.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
The error reported on the list a few days ago with streaming not working
properly when grouping on multiple columns should also probably qualify as
a blocker since streaming is a key feature of hive.

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.
Because this change includes moving/renaming 300 files and then adding
about 200 more with the same name (but contents from 0.11 branch) as the
file had before the move.  The first part is necessary to change the
package name, the second to ensure backwards compatibility.  I described
this in detail the mail "RFC: Major HCatalog refactoring".

Given the complexity of the changes I think creating and applying a patch
could end up with a lot of conflicts.  So doing this after the branch adds
complexity but does not add anything useful.

Eugene

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Eugene,
> Can you please elaborate on why you would like to have this in before
> branching and not commit it after branching in trunk and the branch ?
> Thanks,
> Thejas
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Eugene Koifman
> <ek...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
> > I think we should make sure that several items under HIVE-4869 get
> checked
> > in before branching.
> >
> > Eugene
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > It has been more than 3 months since 0.11 was released and we already
> > have
> > > 294 jiras in resolved-fixed state for 0.12. This includes several new
> > > features such as date data type, optimizer improvements, ORC format
> > > improvements and many bug fixes. There are also many features look
> ready
> > > get committed soon such as the varchar type.
> > > I think it is time to start preparing for a 0.12 release by creating a
> > > branch later next week and start stabilizing it. What do people think
> > about
> > > it ?
> > >
> > > As we get closer to the branching, we can start discussing any
> additional
> > > features/bug fixes that we should add to the release and start
> monitoring
> > > their progress.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Thejas
> > >
> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Eugene,

<ek...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> I think we should make sure that several items under HIVE-4869 get checked
> in before branching.
>
> Eugene
>

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It has been more than 3 months since 0.11 was released and we already
> have
> > 294 jiras in resolved-fixed state for 0.12. This includes several new
> > features such as date data type, optimizer improvements, ORC format
> > improvements and many bug fixes. There are also many features look ready
> > get committed soon such as the varchar type.
> > I think it is time to start preparing for a 0.12 release by creating a
> > branch later next week and start stabilizing it. What do people think
> about
> > it ?
> >
> > As we get closer to the branching, we can start discussing any additional
> > features/bug fixes that we should add to the release and start monitoring
> > their progress.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thejas
> >
> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.
I think we should make sure that several items under HIVE-4869 get checked
in before branching.

Eugene

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> It has been more than 3 months since 0.11 was released and we already have
> 294 jiras in resolved-fixed state for 0.12. This includes several new
> features such as date data type, optimizer improvements, ORC format
> improvements and many bug fixes. There are also many features look ready to
> get committed soon such as the varchar type.
> I think it is time to start preparing for a 0.12 release by creating a
> branch later next week and start stabilizing it. What do people think about
> it ?
>
> As we get closer to the branching, we can start discussing any additional
> features/bug fixes that we should add to the release and start monitoring
> their progress.
>
> Thanks,
> Thejas
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive 0.12 release

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
I have got requests from multiple people for inclusion some
non-blocker jiras in 0.12, and some of them that I got around friday
are in the review phase. So I am planning to extending the time for
inclusion of any on non-blocker jiras by another 2-3 days. I am hoping
to get the patches for any blockers in by middle of next week.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE