Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Robert Mark Bram <re...@optushome.com.au> on 2002/06/29 03:03:15 UTC

Bug fix for HTMLFormat?

Howdy all!

I have just learned how to use the very cool org.apache.log4j.HTMLLayout
class - and found a bug in the report. It prints the time stamp just above
the log messages for each run:

time-stamp
report
time-stamp
report
time-stamp
report

But it seems that the time stamps are not being printed in order so that I
am instead getting:

time-stamp
time-stamp
report
time-stamp
report
time-stamp
report
report

Anyway - I just wanted to check if anyone has seen/fixed this before I
submit a bug report..

Rob

:)
:-}
;->

RE: Bug fix for HTMLFormat?

Posted by Robert Mark Bram <re...@optushome.com.au>.
Hi Ben!

> Robert,
>
> I've seen this type of behavior when I accidentally started multiple
> instances of a JVM that was configured with the same log4j.properties,
> to write to the same file on Solaris.  The OS would actually let
> multiple processes append to the file but the ordering was not always
> preserved.  Is it possible that this (or something similar) is happening
> in your case?

My application is only starting one JVM!

Rob
:)

Re: Bug fix for HTMLFormat?

Posted by Ben Sandee <tb...@pobox.com>.

>Howdy all!
>
>I have just learned how to use the very cool org.apache.log4j.HTMLLayout
>class - and found a bug in the report. It prints the time stamp just above
>the log messages for each run:
>
>time-stamp
>report
>time-stamp
>report
>time-stamp
>report
>
>But it seems that the time stamps are not being printed in order so that I
>am instead getting:
>
>time-stamp
>time-stamp
>report
>time-stamp
>report
>time-stamp
>report
>report

Robert,

I've seen this type of behavior when I accidentally started multiple
instances of a JVM that was configured with the same log4j.properties,
to write to the same file on Solaris.  The OS would actually let
multiple processes append to the file but the ordering was not always
preserved.  Is it possible that this (or something similar) is happening
in your case?

Ben Sandee