Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by mike matrigali <mi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/03 23:04:34 UTC

Open letter to the Derby community

Hello Derby users,

Those of you who also monitor postings on the derby-dev mailing list may have noticed a dramatic decline in activity over the past
several months. That is because Derby's two corporate sponsors, Oracle and IBM, have significantly reduced their investment in Derby.

Contributors do continue to monitor and field questions posted to the Derby mailing lists. Committers, in their spare time, do
continue to help polish and commit patches which other contributors submit. Committers do continue to support contributions through
the Google Summer of Code program. However, subsidized feature development and intensive bug-fixing have tapered off.

Some committers would be happy to form a company which sells Derby support. Naturally, this depends on whether there is sufficient
interest on the part of Derby users. If you are interested, then please contact Mike Matrigali and Rick Hillegas (see the email
addresses cc'd above). Feel free to contact us even if your support requirements are tentative, future needs rather than immediate
ones.

We are sorry to be the bearers of this bad news.

Best regards,
Mike Matrigali (mikemapp1@gmail.com) and Rick Hillegas (rick.hillegas@gmail.com)

--
email:    Mike Matrigali - mikemapp1@gmail.com
linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/MikeMatrigali

Re: Fwd: Open letter to the Derby community

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Jacopo,

So a good (Groovy) and a maybe bad news in the same day :/

Let's hope a Derby selling company will exist. Despite some seem to believe, there is no free lunch, only open source...

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
FYI

Re: Open letter to the Derby community

Posted by Sandeep Dixit <sd...@ohioedge.com>.
I would be interested!

Sandeep Dixit
440-423-0700

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e‐mail message, including any attachments, is
and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e‐mail

Posted by Katherine Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 3/3/2015 2:04 PM, mike matrigali wrote:
> Hello Derby users,
>

> Some committers would be happy to form a company which sells Derby
> support. Naturally, this depends on whether there is sufficient
> interest on the part of Derby users.

This is exciting news!  All my very best for success in this venture.

+1