Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> on 2003/11/13 15:44:22 UTC

svn2cl?

Hello users,

  Is here any ready pre-commit (post-commit?) hook, which adds log
message to ChangeLog? Is it possible, to modify transaction to add
such change in pre-commit hook?

 I've looked in list archives, but doesn't find anything useful on
this topic.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                          mailto:lev@serebryakov.spb.ru

Re: svn2cl?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Lev Serebryakov wrote:

> Hello users,
>
>   Is here any ready pre-commit (post-commit?) hook, which adds log
> message to ChangeLog? Is it possible, to modify transaction to add
> such change in pre-commit hook?

Modifying a transaction from a hook is not a good idea.  The change
would end up in the repository, but would not be propagated back to the
working copy the change was committed from, and a number of things would
become confused as a result.

Is it really necessary to keep the ChangeLog file under revision control
as people do with CVS?  In Subversion's own repository, we don't update
  a ChangeLog file with each commit, instead relying on people to use
'svn log' (which is considerably more user friendly than 'cvs log').  We
still keep a CHANGES file, but it's only updated before a release.

-garrett

Re[2]: svn2cl?

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello Ben,

>>   Is here any ready pre-commit (post-commit?) hook, which adds log
>> message to ChangeLog? Is it possible, to modify transaction to add
>> such change in pre-commit hook?
BCS> 1. The general opinion of svn people is that traditional ChangeLogs
BCS> aren't particularly useful anymore, since we have atomic, global
BCS> commits.  'svn log' can generate a ChangeLog anytime you want.
  So, `make release' should contains call to `svn log'. Ok.

BCS> 2. It is EXTREMELY BAD to have a pre-commit hook modify the
BCS> transaction:  don't do it!  There's currently no way for the working
BCS> copy to find out about it.  After the commit finishes, the working copy
BCS> assumes that the file it sent is exactly what went into the repository.
  Ok, I see. It is good point.

Re: svn2cl?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.